Is Apple really "required" to provide a flawless device as long as it's functional?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by tonedef407, Sep 27, 2012.

1. tonedef407 macrumors regular

After hanging out on the iPhone forums the past couple of day, I've seen that thought tossed around. That due to the price paid, Apple can't sell you a device with a nick or scratch. But, if the device performs its non-cosmetic function, is that all they are required to do? I have an iPhone 5 with a tiny scratch by the home button, should I exchange for that reason if the phone does everything fine? I'm not trying to troll, I honestly think it's an interesting thought.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If I pay good money for a brand-new product, it better not come out of the box with a scratch, dent, or nick. Not acceptable in my book ... doesn't matter if it's otherwise functional.

It doesn't matter if the vendor is Apple or anyone else. If I pay for "new", I better get a product that looks new. If I buy a $10 USB hub, it better not be scratched up out of the box.

Take this example. If you buy a brand new car. Would you take delivery of it if it had a scratch across the hood? Afterall, the car is still functional.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

No, not if they want to continue to sell consumer devices.

4. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Absolutely not. Apple chooses to use a manufactuter that (given the massive demand for this product) obviosly cannot maintain the standards we expect. They got what they paid for. Now we need to demand that we do to.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Apple aren't required to do anything unless it is law.

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Like the microeconomic law of consumer choice?

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

If they want to keep selling devices, yes. Yes they do.

Would you buy a car with half the paint missing or a big dent in the hood? I mean, its just cosmetic, it still works right?