Is Apple refreshing the base model MBP 15 this month?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Ray-, Nov 9, 2018.

  1. -Ray- macrumors regular

    -Ray-

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2011
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #1
    I am in the immediate market for a new Macbook Pro. I was going to buy the base model 15 inch.

    While researching my decision I soon learned that Apple plans to refresh the MBP lineup with an option for new VEGA chips. I also took notice that Best Buy has a significant discount on them making me wonder if Apple will be moving on from the 555X and perhaps moving the 560X down to the base model.

    I was hoping to make my purchase tonight as I need it for weekend travel but I definitely do not want to spend over 2k if it will be replaced in a mere week.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

    Howard2k

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2016
    #2
    I doubt it. But if they do replace it within a week or two you have the return window you can leverage.
     
  3. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

    Falhófnir

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2017
    #3
    The only way to know for certain is to wait until they officially release. The word seems to be they are adding them as BTO options, so the stock models will stay the same, but the press release doesn’t actually specify that so I’m not certain where exactly that came from.
     
  4. puma1552 Suspended

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    #4
    It seems really strange (and good) that Apple is suddenly doing random graphics card updates, and their site even says they are coming later this month.
     
  5. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

    -Ray-

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2011
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
  7. tawfiqmp macrumors member

    tawfiqmp

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #7
    Is it even worth it if the price is gonna be like $200 more for these vega cards? I'm trying to determine if I even want it if the price is gonna go up a bit to upgrade to these.
     
  8. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

    -Ray-

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2011
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #8
    I don’t want the Vega. I just wanted to make sure they aren’t moving the 560s down the line
     
  9. Hadron macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #9
  10. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

    Falhófnir

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2017
    #10
    Honestly the real benefit of the 560 previously was 4GB VRAM over 2 on the 555 - now they both have 4 the performance delta is really minimal.
     
  11. tawfiqmp macrumors member

    tawfiqmp

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #11
    I think I'm gonna be sticking with getting the 560 MBP. I'm just curious to see if they lower the price on this one. I guess I would have some time to return it though if that happens, right?
     
  12. ksg604 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2018
    #12
    the 560x will be the new base graphics for the more expensive 15 inch option (with the 2.6 i7)
     
  13. Premal212 macrumors regular

    Premal212

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2017
    Location:
    London UK
    #13
    I believe it's referring to the description above. I think we all know the 15" has good graphical ability (per se) but they are probably trying to promote the 13" as 'good enough' for most needs. The description above explains the dRAM etc.
     

Share This Page

12 November 9, 2018