Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a_rodriguezh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2021
I'm going to buy an M2 MBA. I know for a fact that I'm going to buy the 16 GB model, but while I was researching, I saw that the M2 MBA Refurbished w/16 GB and 512 GB was selling for 1280.

The thing is, I don't live in the US, and I won't be able to test the device until it arrives, and by then, if the device has any problems, I won't be able to change it (at least not without paying a few hundred dollars to ship it back).

a_rodriguezh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2021
As long as you purchase from the Apple Refurbished Store, you will be fine. I have purchases many refurbished Macs over the years without any issues. I am sure others have had the same experience.
Yes, my plans are to buy it directly on the apple refurbished store

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
I'm going to buy an M2 MBA. I know for a fact that I'm going to buy the 16 GB model, but while I was researching, I saw that the M2 MBA Refurbished w/16 GB and 512 GB was selling for 1280.

The thing is, I don't live in the US, and I won't be able to test the device until it arrives, and by then, if the device has any problems, I won't be able to change it (at least not without paying a few hundred dollars to ship it back).
I've only owned 3 MBP's - a 2009 13 MBP, 2011 15 MBP and 2015 15 MBP - ALL bought from Apple refurbed, and ALL worked flawlessly. In fact I still have my 2009 13 MBP and my daily driver is my 2015 15 MBP. Don't hesitate to buy refurbed.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Any device can have problems right out of the gate. If you’re going to buy in USA and have the device shipped to you, I’d suggest working out an arrangement with someone in USA to take delivery, and thoroughly test the Mac so that if there ARE any issues, it can be returned within the 14-day return period.

This is a suggestion for refurbished & new alike.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Buying from the Apple reburb store is excellent; it's essentially the same as buying brand new directly from Apple...the only difference is that you pay less for a slightly used or refurbished device...oh and the device comes in a box which states "refurbished".

As far as I can tell, you still get the same warranty as you would buying brand new...

Last edited:

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
If you’re going to buy in USA and have the device shipped to you, I’d suggest working out an arrangement with someone in USA to take delivery
Apple does not ship outside the store's target country in the first place, they either have a store for the destination country or they'll tell you to go through local Apple authorized resellers.

a_rodriguezh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2021
Apple does not ship outside the store's target country in the first place, they either have a store for the destination country or they'll tell you to go through local Apple authorized resellers.
I'm going to buy it through someone and have it send to me, but the person isn't at the capacity to thoroughly test it (more on the older side). So, what i buy is what i get.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Depending on how the documentation for customs was filled out and what the destination country is, you might also be hit with import tax.

Be aware if it doesn't arrive intact for whatever reason, you'll have to go through a lengthy refund request process and might not get a refund at all, it's common for shipping companies to blame each other in international shipping and making it hard to get refunds. I ship internationally with business accounts and unless I go for something like DHL Express where each shipment costs upwards of $150 the problems and delays I encounter are ridiculous. I've had packages be "in transit" for literally months and eventually returned to me for bogus reasons (recipient doesn't exist, goods rejected by destination country, improper packaging and so on).

Also had one package opened during shipping, the laptop had was clearly taken out of the packaging, the sealed inner packaging was damaged and we couldn't tell what was done to the device so we ended up replacing it and paid for that ourselves too. Obviously they did not feel that they're liable for damaging goods during inspections. Didn't even have any log/report of it at all despite it clearly being taped together with their own tape that had their logo all over it.

So it's what you get is what you get, rather than what you buy is what you get. Most packages make it through just fine, I am merely pointing out that if something happens it can get complicated. We now take photos of shipments before we seal them and after, and ship the more important ones directly from the post office instead of using the in-house service. Not that it really prevents problems...

Reactions: KaliYoni

a_rodriguezh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2021
Depending on how the documentation for customs was filled out and what the destination country is, you might also be hit with import tax.

Be aware if it doesn't arrive intact for whatever reason, you'll have to go through a lengthy refund request process and might not get a refund at all, it's common for shipping companies to blame each other in international shipping and making it hard to get refunds. I ship internationally with business accounts and unless I go for something like DHL Express where each shipment costs upwards of $150 the problems and delays I encounter are ridiculous. I've had packages be "in transit" for literally months and eventually returned to me for bogus reasons (recipient doesn't exist, goods rejected by destination country, improper packaging and so on).

Also had one package opened during shipping, the laptop had was clearly taken out of the packaging, the sealed inner packaging was damaged and we couldn't tell what was done to the device so we ended up replacing it and paid for that ourselves too. Obviously they did not feel that they're liable for damaging goods during inspections. Didn't even have any log/report of it at all despite it clearly being taped together with their own tape that had their logo all over it.

So it's what you get is what you get, rather than what you buy is what you get. Most packages make it through just fine, I am merely pointing out that if something happens it can get complicated. We now take photos of shipments before we seal them and after, and ship the more important ones directly from the post office instead of using the in-house service. Not that it really prevents problems...
Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. I will buy it directly on the Apple page and it will be sent to a person within the United States. Then this person will bring it to me, the problem is that no one can inspect the computer because they will not know how to do it (she's an elderly person).

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Oh that is fine then, yeah I wouldn't worry about it, refurbished isn't any less reliable than brand new, at least as long as you order directly from Apple.

I guess then the only thing left to consider is that even though Apple's warranty is valid internationally, you can only use the warranty if Apple has anyone in your country who can do the warranty repairs. I assume your country does not have Apple stores, you might want to check where the closest Apple Authorized Service Provider is. At least the bigger cities should have one.

If you do not have anyone near you then you might run into the common problem where you got an issue that should be fixed for free under warranty, but all you get is some repair shops that probably don't get Macs for repair often and don't have access to new Apple original replacement parts either. And they won't do anything under warranty.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Absolutely. As long as you purchase from the official refurbished store, you should have no issues. Apple refurbished quality is second to none, indistinguishable from new in my experience.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Bought lots of Macs and iPads. A few of them refurbished. No issues.

If you're buying a US Mac for another territory, be aware that keyboard layouts do vary from country to country. I find it hard when I'm fixing my Dad's computer in the UK, because the keyboard layout is different from my muscle memory.

e.g.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-21%20at%2014.28.55.png

a_rodriguezh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2021
Bought lots of Macs and iPads. A few of them refurbished. No issues.

If you're buying a US Mac for another territory, be aware that keyboard layouts do vary from country to country. I find it hard when I'm fixing my Dad's computer in the UK, because the keyboard layout is different from my muscle memory.

e.g.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-21%20at%2014.28.55.png
I actually prefer the US keyboard, that’s the one I’m used to. But thanks for the advice

Reactions: CalMin

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

The Apple refurb devices are good and while not always the cheapest option are a safe way to buy at a discount. The only downside I know of is that Apple will not take a refurb device as a trade-in when buying a new device. I’m not sure of their reason for this but you should know of the policy in case you had a trade-in in your future plans.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Absolutely second as others have noted above the idea of buying from Apple's Refurb Store.

Arguably even better than factory new, as each unit individually tested before going out again - even if the store is selling it only because the original buyer had changed their mind on it (wrong specs, wrong colour, buyer's remorse, etc) and brought it back. Apple, as we know, don't do 'Open Boxes'.

I'm assuming by your comments your country's Apple Store doesn't have the Refurb option on the website - they do tend to bury it and make it hard to find - so that might make it a challenge to have the warranty apply? The mailing address is one thing, where you attempt to set up the computer from another? I dunno. Someone here might have practical experience with that. That said, regular warranty applies to refurbs, and they are eligible for AppleCare+ as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.