Is Apple Scamming me? pwn3d

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TommyLee, Jan 26, 2008.

1. TommyLee macrumors regular

As a website designer and repair technician, it's always in my best interest to stay one version behind. It simply does not seem profitable to disrupt a clients important project with upgrades and "beta testing" the latest cool features. That said, I kept my MacBook on OS 10.4 and my G5 PPC on 10.3...

Yesterday, while designing a brochure on my MacBook, Apple Software Update offers me the latest in iApps and a security update. Like a n00b, I agreed. After restart, I noticed my MacBook is running very slow and thought to myself "Okay, it's doing it's index thing" and that it would be 'supercharged' after it was done. Nope. It's still running slower than ever. I have never seen this MacBook run this slow. In fact, It's running about as fast as my iMac G3.

So I jump on the internet and what do I find?
    "LEOPARD IS THE BEST OS EVER! IT'S FASTER THAN TIGER! "
    So I stop by MacRumors to see if there's any truth in that before I upgrade. but wait! Am I being pwn3d into buying Leopard? :apple:

2. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Unless your browser is jumping straight to a flashing page that says that then I don't think Apple is trying to scam you. I do recommend a move to Leopard though, it's much more efficient.

3. TommyLee thread starter macrumors regular

Is Leopard faster than Tiger? I heard that is was faster on Intel Macs, but slower on PPC. Any truth to that?

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Tiger is as stable and fast as you're going to get on an Intel Mac. If it's that slow, then something's wrong. It's not a scam. Really.

I find Leopard fast and stable enough but not perfect. Many people are happy, some aren't. If you're that worried, stick with Tiger.

Are you sure that Spotlight has stopped indexing? Is there a little dot in the magnifying glass icon? Or, is an external drive being indexed that you don't want to be indexed? Check your spotlight preferences.

Also do the usual maintenance tasks... repair permissions, verify disks, check free HD space, look at Activity Monitor to see if anything is eating your RAM or processor cycles, restart, maybe even reset PRAM, etc etc.

SL

5. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Ask the iMac G5 I'm on right now. It was always faster than my MBP with Tiger on it but now it's swapped around. It feels as responsive as ever though.

6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I agree!

It's a great OS and there isn't much bugs in it, well from what I noticed. There are some, but most are graphic bugs.

But if I were you I'd at least upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4.