Is Apple selling refurbished phones new as for export

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by k_a_curran, Dec 4, 2015.

1. k_a_curran macrumors newbie

I just bought an unlocked, new, sealed in box iPhone 6S in Singapore. I have a Singapore telephone account with Singtel (same one for 20 years). I installed a new SIM card bought from Singtel into my new phone.

I cannot set up all parts of the phone, eg, cloud, because I am continually prompted for the password for account "animal176@sbcglobal.net" WHO IS THAT??

I know this is a US provider, but I am in Singapore, with a Singapore phone. Never set foot in the US.

How did animal176@sbcglobal get in my phone??

I am now wondering if Apple has sold refurbished phones as new when sold as export.

If anyone has similar experience or advice around this, I would be interested.

ps. Probably deleting the account would enable me to get around it, but I am very curious as to why and how that account is there in the first place!!

Thank you

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Did you restore from a backup, or did you set this up as a brand new phone? When/where are you being prompted for the password?

3. k_a_curran thread starter macrumors newbie

I was setting up as a brand new phone. I was prompted at the beginning of the welcome/set up process.
    Because I do not know any password for this account, when it continually pops up, I have to click 'later' in order to be able to use the phone to do anything.

I actually googled this account to see what I would find, and animal176 seems to be some guy in Texas!

4. k_a_curran thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I correct myself. Wen I look in the Settings - ICloud, the account already installed is animal176@sbcglobal.net.
    when looking at the further information, I actually have the person's name!

I emphasize: NEW phone, sold as new, Singapore new SIM card.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like you might want to return the phone and exchange it for a new one.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's iCloud Activation lock.

I'd question where Singtel is getting their phones, not Apple. Unless you bought it from Apple?

You are correct, the only way this could have happened is if the phone had been used before.

Shrinkwrapping a box is pretty easy to do.