Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
The most annoying thing about my series 3 Apple Watch is that is not ***** Qi wireless charge compatible.

So is this fixed with the series 5?

Reactions: twanj

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Apple Watch IS Qi wireless. It is just that Apple uses a "tweaked" proprietary version for the Watch. They do use a more standard version on the iPhone.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If the Series 5 could work with any Qi charger, I imagine they would have called it out during the keynote. And since the hardware is mostly the same as the Series 4, it's pretty safe to say, IMO, that the Series 5 will only work with specific chargers cleared by Apple just like the Series 4.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
If the Series 5 could work with any Qi charger, I imagine they would have called it out during the keynote. And since the hardware is mostly the same as the Series 4, it's pretty safe to say, IMO, that the Series 5 will only work with specific chargers cleared by Apple just like the Series 4.

If that is true, then I suppose no new Apple watch for me.

Not sure what games Apple is trying to play since Airpower got cancelled and we had to buy our own wireless charging devices and then discovering that the Apple Watch doesn't work with it.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Apple uses a "Apple modified" version of Qi on the watch because Qi does not meet their wattage requirements. So in Apple's version of the story, Qi would be a downgrade.

Reactions: matrix07

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Apple uses a "Apple modified" version of Qi on the watch because Qi does not meet their wattage requirements. So in Apple's version of the story, Qi would be a downgrade.

That is non-sense. The iPhone (their flagship product) is wireless Qi compatible with every charger. If Qi would be a downgrade, iPhone’s would have the same restrictions.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I always thought the issue was that the coils in the watch were too small for Qi, but after the wireless charging AirPods case, I don’t know.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Now that the Apple Watch S5 is out, has anyone able to verify that the new Apple Watch finally works with regular Qi chargers? (this is a must have feature for me in order to upgrade from my S3).

Shan S.

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Now that the Apple Watch S5 is out, has anyone able to verify that the new Apple Watch finally works with regular Qi chargers? (this is a must have feature for me in order to upgrade from my S3).

Nope. Only works with the apple chargers that come with the watch. The apple supported qi chargers (mophie and Belkin) that charge iPhones at the 7 watts do not work.

Only ones that will work are chargers designed for the apple watch..I have a SS S3 and just upgraded to a SS S5

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Nope. Only works with the apple chargers that come with the watch. The apple supported qi chargers (mophie and Belkin) that charge iPhones at the 7 watts do not work.

Only ones that will work are chargers designed for the apple watch..I have a SS S3 and just upgraded to a SS S5

Many thanks for testing this out. I will wait for the series S6 then and stick with the S3 for 1 more year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.