Is Apple serious with the new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zBernie, Nov 9, 2016.

1. zBernie macrumors newbie

I stopped using Apple mobile devices years ago because they are overpriced, inflexible, and do not have options such as MicroSD card slots. But I still use my 2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina on a daily basis, and have a 2016 iMac. I was waiting for the new Macbook Pro to be released, and what a disappointment it is! They have 4 USB-C ports, and that's it! No SD card slot. No HDMI port. No USB 3 port. No RJ-45 jack. I literally have zero devices I could connect to a new Macbook without adapters! And of course, the one I would want is a whopping $2,700. I was hoping they might introduce a less expensive 1080p model, but that didn't happen.

Fed up with Apple, I just ordered an HP Envy 15 with Windows 10 Pro. It has all of the aforementioned ports that the Macbook Pro does not have. It has 7th generation core i7 processors, 512GB SSD drive, 16 GB of RAM, backlit keyboard, and you have a choice of 1k up to 4k displays. I settled on the 1080p display because I don't need or want 4k. All this for only $1,099! I'm going to add $500 to my kids college fund, and still save over $1,000.

I am disappointed with my new iMac as well. It has Core i5 processors, 1 TB fusion drive with 28GB SSD -- And it's a dog! Except for the MacOS components which are on the SSD drive, other apps run slowly. So I have a slow computer that I paid $1,500 for. I'm going to trade it in on a Windows 10 PC with i7 processors and a large SSD drive, and 12-16 GB of RAM.

This will be the last time I vent about Apple -- Good riddance!

2. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

This forum has already been through this. You're late. There was no need to create ANOTHER thread with this tone and arguments, just put this in one of the existing disappointment threads.

3. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Like AceFernalld said, you're late. There have been countless threads which are exactly like yours.

Okay. So what do you want of us now? Go enjoy your HP.

4. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Cool. Hopefully that $500 will turn into enough to buy your child a Mac when they go to school, you don't really want them lugging around a windows laptop do you?

5. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

7th generation i7 is far worse than the current 6th generation i7 in the MacBook Pro. There should be a quiz or something before you can post about this topic. People have no idea what they are talking about when they complain that Apple isn't using the 7th generation processors.

6. Deanster, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

Deanster macrumors regular

OP - Apple shouldn't be selling the iMac with the Fusion drive, IMHO, and you in turn shouldn't have purchased one.

Rotating storage is dog-slow in the modern era, and while Fusion is better than all-rotating, unless you're going to home-brew a Fusion drive out of an internal SSD and an external rotating hard drive (which works great, by the way).

ANY modern machine is going to feel dead slow when its running off the hard drive - the pace of rotating storage is simply not what we're used to with phones, iPads and laptops driven by SSD's.

As for the new MBP's, the port situation is a legitimate hassle, of course.

But... in exchange for a few dongles, buyers get an I/O monster - Thunderbolt 3 and full-speed USB 3.1 are so far beyond prior protocols it's not even funny. There's not another laptop (or desktop or workstation that I'm aware of), offering the kind of I/O throughput that the new MBP offers out of the box.

I hope you enjoy your new HP, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's going to have anything like the performance of the new MBP's.

7. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Microsoft's JUST ANNOUNCED Surface Studio is a hybrid drive like a fusion drive and it has NO SSD option.

8. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a win-win for everyone involved. Best of luck with that!

9. Deanster macrumors regular

Interesting. Do you know how big the SSD element is?

As I noted, I'm currently running a home-brew Fusion drive on my 2011 iMac, with a 256GB SSD and a 4TB rotating drive, both on internal SATA (and let me tell you how much fun it was to install!), and it's fantastic.

I think the hybrid concept is excellent, but Apple's implementation just has tooooo small an SSD - I'd say 128GB is a realistic minimum to do most of your I/O from the SSD, and then just let it hand off things to the rotating drive in its spare time.

With the 28GB SSD Apple uses, as the OP notes, it's fast for the OS, but most apps and files will be running from the rotating drive, and you'll feel it.

10. RandomRazer Suspended

11. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

No details on how big the SSD component is :( The product starts at $3,000 so it might be larger than the one that Apple provides.

12. Deanster macrumors regular

13. Ataricade Suspended

Yes they are serious. Windows is horrible. Good luck and goodbye.

14. leman macrumors 604

I am more confused whether OP is serious with her or his post. So, you have bought a mediocre budget computer. It's slower than the 13" MBP, heavier and larger than the 15" MBP, has half of its battery life and also uses a low-end budget display. And you complain about Apple why exactly? They don't make budget computers you know.

15. Deanster macrumors regular

Drops mic, walks off stage. :)

16. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

Congrats, hope you love the machine and tell everyone how great it is, in an HP Forum :)

17. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Hey that's awesome. I just sitting here thinking "I wonder what's zBernie's computing strategy is" and this thread pops up. miraculous and informative at the same time.

18. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

19. Skika macrumors 68030

20. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

Thank you so much! Best laugh of the week! :)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2016 ---
    Way to go! As long as it makes you happy.
    Question is: we need to know that because....?
    Good luck all the same