Is Apple serious?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Naimfan, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I just spoke with Applecare in an effort to order replacement installation discs for my Powerbook G4/1.33 Ghz. All went well until I heard they proposed to charge me $25 for shipping the two discs--via 3 day service, no less.

They have GOT to be kidding....don't they?

EDIT: The $25 cost is for shipping only. The discs themselves total $39.00, which I have zero problem with.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Did you lose your originals ones. Why would they send them to you free?

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Not that i'm condoning piracy... but just download whatever version of OSX you had off a torrent site. Save yourself the 25 quid and you aren't doing anything inherently illegal, just making your own "backup" disks.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

How much are they charging for the actual discs?

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I suppose they should send you a new Powerbook for free if you lose your original too? You're not getting charged for the shipping, you're getting charged for the discs...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, $25 is not nearly so much as 25 quid. :p

As for Apple charging the $25, however, I think it's very fair and reasonable. You would not find a copy of the discs on eBay for much less. Also Apple must devote the resources necessary to keep a large number of copies of different system discs for computers (yours is several years old, isn't it?) available. So $25 is a reasonable amount of cost in my mind for the service they're rendering you.

That being said, I personally would think what TBi recommended is not particularly any sort of egregious violation against goodness and niceness.

7. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 68040

Naimfan

No, I never had them. I bought the machine off eBay and thought I'd get a set for completeness sake. I have zero problem buying them--I was told $16 for Disc 1 and $23 for Disc 2, which is fine, but I choke at the idea of spending $25 to have two CD's mailed when it would cost $4.05 to send them priority mail or $2-3 to send them via Fedex Ground.

TBi--thanks for the suggestion, but I have a family pack of Tiger, iWork 08, and iLife 06, so I don't really need the discs except to be complete if I ever sell it, or if someone takes me up on the trade offer in marketplace.

Bob

8. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

The OP says nothing about expecting to receive the CDs for free. In reading the post, my sense is that concern centers on the cost of the shipping. For $25, the CDs should arrive next-day delivery, not three days.

9. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I think his argument is that $25 is an atrocious amount to have to pay for shipping two CD’s,

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Got it -- that wasn't clear when I first responded either. Yeah, $25 is a bit much in terms of shipping charges... Le sigh. You can always also eBay for them. Some come up for sale periodically.

11. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

If you only need them because of the possibility that you might sell the laptop, I'd say wait until you're getting ready to sell it. Post it online "as is" and I'd you can't get what you want for it, grab the discs at that point.

12. Rube macrumors member

They should bump the price of the product up if they need to make that much money on the handling charges. Shipping would be less than 3 dollars for first class mail.