iPad Is Apple seriously trying to force iPad pictures?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cool Pup, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I found the iPad revealing for the Air pretty good. It did all the things it should do, especially a year out from the reveal last year.

But, what was a little strange was the big emphasis on taking pictures and video.

Is Apple really trying to make this a commonplace thing? It already looks ridiculous, and now I think Apple will try to make it worse by upgrading the camera instead of the other areas that a tablet should be better in (split screen? More RAM?).

I love that Apple has such awesome cameras, but avoiding any upgrades to the Mini line and focusing so heavily on the camera aspect at the keynote was puzzling to say the least. I don't see many people carting their iPad around to take pictures, and if I do, it never looks quite right and just seems hazardous.

I know it's supplementary to the nice changes the line did, but it seems like this might set a bad precedent for a lot more dropped iPad claims...

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

People already use their iPads for pictures all the time.

3. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

If they took the iPad camera seriously, they'd put a FLASH on it.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I noticed it too that they were concentrating on taking photo's and videos with the iPad. For me, I am a very basic picture taking person, (not even enough to refer to myself as a photographer) and I always use the iPhone to take photos.

Rarely do I see anyone using an iPad, or any tablet, to take photos.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Personally, I like taking pictures with the iPad
    The big screen makes a great view finder

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

There were so few real improvements they HAD to concentrate on the camera and it abilities. If it were not for touch-ID, the Air 2 would be a snoozer!

Wait it IS a snoozer!

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Me too.

You don't need flash to take pictures outside in daylight.

8. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

Photos usually look like crap on the iPad screen though.. The camera is never up to par in creating a clear crisp image on that large screen. iPhone 6+ will still be my last resort for pics, not a billboard that blocks the audience at a concert..

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Please stop doing this.

You are linking two things.

The iPad having a nice camera, and idiots blocking people's view at an event are two totally separate things.

That is like me saying cars should be banned as some people are idiots and speed and kill people with them

Please stop linking a device having nice things, with idiots who use a device in a bad way.

You can say that about almost anything in life.

Does not mean we should not have nice things just because some people use those things in a bad way.

Are these people idiots?

http://www.lorigrimmett.com/wp-cont...Large-Format-Photographer-Lori-Grimmett-2.jpg

http://www.michael-gordon.com/images/large/IntroLargeFormat.jpg

http://photografia.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/CL4x5.jpg

http://www.edpiercephoto.com/ed.jpg

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site47/2013/0603/20130603__05rhlpsw~1_200.jpg

10. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

So.. You don't have a phone with a camera? Why on earth would you need to "take" pictures with a rear camera on a television? They are awkward to hold, I have had multiple iPads, that is ridiculous and pointless because everyone has a phone with a camera since 2007.

Now having an incredible FaceTime camera makes perfect sense and I wish it was actually better than it is now. My family has many FaceTime calls to relatives and my brother who is out of state can stay in contact on a nice big screen.

Still.. Holding up a full size iPad and trying to take a picture without pushing the screen forward and moving the whole iPad during capture?.. Wow.

11. matttye macrumors 601

Do people actually use the camera a lot on iPads?

I thought they were joking when they said one of the most used features was the camera, but I guess I was wrong.

I'm probably judging that by the fact that I have an iPhone with a significantly better camera than my iPad. If it was the other way around I'd probably use the iPad.

12. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

I'm am a photographer on the side for extra income and yes, those people are being ridiculous to use that device this way.

NOW, I have used my iPad as a screen to view images being taken from my Dslr via a wifi compatible SD card, but actually taking pictures with a rear facing camera on the iPad.. I will continue to fight this madness.

----------

I agree completely. It is almost a joke that they even mentioned the iPad being used this way as one of its main "upgraded features". How about something more useful? Might as well keep the size it was and extend battery life for multiple days?

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

No, I don't have a phone with a Camera.

If I want to take photo's I use my camera, I would not go out to take photo's and use my phone, that would be silly!

However, that said. THE VERY BEST CAMERA IN THE ENTIRE WORLD is the one you have in your hands the very moment you wish to capture an image.

And to make THAT experience the best, at any time, Any camera should have a flash unit in case it's needed due to poor lighting.

14. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

Is Apple seriously trying to force iPad pictures?

I'm not here to argue at all with having a camera at all times and I do agree IF there is going to be a camera, give it a flash so that it works in a conditions. Especially since it would cost them next to nothing to add. I was just getting at the general idea of climbing mountains and deciding to snap a pic with a full size iPad seems unlikely. If you are packing light for a hike, I doubt your full size iPad is first choice haha.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Why

Please explain what is wrong with using a device the size of an iPad to take a photograph with?

Note. I don't want you to say that people are silly as they use it in the middle of a crowd as that is a totally separate issue that ANY professional could be accused of taking professional large camera gear into the middle of a crowd.

So forget the crowd scenario.

What is inherently incorrect in using a device as large as an iPad to take a photo with?

Remember, I am not talking about the quality of the lens as that's not what you are talking about either.
    We are talking about the size of the device in general.

When did is become wrong to use a device above a certain physical size to capture an image?

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

All this talk about having a flash...

I have never once used the flash on my iPhone (my camera of choice)
    In fact, I have it set to "off" so it doesn't go off without my consent :)

17. matttye macrumors 601

Do you take night time / low light pictures?

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I have never owned a Dog I don't think people should have Dogs.
    I have never had a Tattoo. I don't think tattoo's should be allowed.
    I have never owned a fast sports car, I think they should be banned.
    I don't like whisky, they should not make whisky

See how stupid it is to make statements like this?

19. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Agree. Prefer photos without the flash so quite happy. I think Apple know their target audience very well.

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

See how stupid it is to twist someone's words into something they didn't say?

I never said it shouldn't have a flash, or that nobody ever uses a flash
    I merely stated MY experience about a flash

See how silly you look now? As usual :)

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Apologies if I assumed you were being as selfish as some here.
    I take my comments back, thought they still apply to others.

There any many things on Apple and other devices, "I" may not use, but that does not mean I go around shouting they should be removed as I understand we all have different needs. Like a toolbox. It's full of various tools, but not everyone uses every tool.

IMHO Any camera should have a flash, Camera's have always had flashes from almost the moment the camera was invented.

So I will always say the iPad should have a flash, simply because it it better to have than not to have.

And given the tiny cost of a flash unit these days. What, 2 or 3 dollars if even that, and the size of the iPad and it's large battery there is no reason why it could not support one, and have zero negative impact on those people who do not with to use it, and a large positive impact for those who do.

22. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

If they bring their setup to an event like a concert, or a daughters dance recital or something similar: Yes, they are.

But they are professionals using their chosen equipment in specific settings.

So, apple and oranges being compared here

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Agreed.

So, the iPad having a flash is not a problem, it's a good addition.

Idiots using any device the wrong way in the wrong location are the problem :)

24. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Thank you for this very appropriate post.

It's very refreshing to witness common sense, reason and the voice of an intelligent person in the midst of such a juvenile environment.

25. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

Haha this is exactly what I was getting at. If they are honestly bringing this huge crazy setup to events... That is idiotic. That is just plain overkill for what a simple "camera" could do.