Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Apple shooting itself in the foot by not innovating a new iOS redesign?

• Yes

Votes: 99 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 173 63.6%

• Total voters

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Actually, yes. What iOS 5 did to iPad's Safari was an insult to good usability. I wish they'd revert it. At least the iPhone's Safari hasn't been ruined yet.
Not to totally derail the thread but I'm curious about this as I find tabbed browsing on the iPad to be much nicer than the previous system. (Also, I can't remember, is the bookmarks bar new to iOS5 as well? Because I use that extensively too)

Larrywb

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
CT
Sure there is. Do you think switching tabs in the iOS browser on an iPhone is fluid? Do you think messaging should JUST be about iMessage and texting and not something else the way iChat would work? Do you think not having a unified filesystem makes the OS flow better? Do you think task switching by double tapping the home button and flipping through icons on a tiny part of the screen is good flow? Do you think pressing the settings button to turn off Wifi is good flow rather than putting those widely used settings on Notification center?

Come on. Let's admit iOS isn't perfect, guys. There's a lot that needs to happen.

I like your ideas, all of the above would be very useful for me. I wouldn't personally jump switch to a windows or android because I appreciate all the things that work perfectly.
I'm hopeful that Apple will add more features for the more technologically advanced person. Sometimes I don't get why it takes them a while to get certain normal features on the iOS, like sending a picture via text message back in the day, everybody was doing that on cheap feature-phones, and we had to wait another year or so.

I also agree with others and think these are just added features or tweaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I like your ideas, all of the above would be very useful for me. I wouldn't personally jump switch to a windows or android because I appreciate all the things that work perfectly.
I'm hopeful that Apple will add more features for the more technologically advanced person. Sometimes I don't get why it takes them a while to get certain normal features on the iOS, like sending a picture via text message back in the day, everybody was doing that on cheap feature-phones, and we had to wait another year or so.

I also agree with others and think these are just added features or tweaks.

They do it because it suits their business model. When they withhold features and add them to the next os, they can reserve some features for the next device and encourage people to upgrade. This is not as clear to see with any other company but apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Not to totally derail the thread but I'm curious about this as I find tabbed browsing on the iPad to be much nicer than the previous system. (Also, I can't remember, is the bookmarks bar new to iOS5 as well? Because I use that extensively too)
Bookmarks bar is not new. The first release of iPad 1 (whatever iOS flavor that was) had that option there.

The tabbed approach is cluttered with too-tiny buttons (lots of mis-clicks) and wastes screen real-estate (on an already low-res screen). And it's more confusing to the less sophisticated target audience that iOS so long did a good job of satisfying (I've witnessed this first hand). I'm definitely more of a power user (software engineer with long focus on UI design), and while I can appreciate that it is technically more efficient, it is aesthetically ugly and tries too hard to cater to a desktop standard that isn't really ideal or necessary on a tablet.

I also don't think this is off-topic because changes like this, where Apple is appeasing a crowd that cares more about gimmicks and perceived snobbery than beauty or ease-of-use, are the kinds of changes Apple will continue implementing and slowly ruining iOS in a mis-guided attempt to win over the wrong people.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
They do it because it suits their business model. When they withhold features and add them to the next os, they can reserve some features for the next device and encourage people to upgrade. This is not as clear to see with any other company but apple.
Finally somebody who speaks the obvious. There was no reason the first iPhone couldn't do video recording, and there was no reason to keep a video camera off the front of first iPad. The same is done with the OS.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
1. people have been buying 3.5" iPhones for 5 years now... I don't think people are going to suddenly stop purchasing them because there is no 4" screen option.

3. Apple will not introduce a file system in iOS, they have already said they don't want one, don't think it's intuitive, and don't think customers want one. Think of the way things like iPhoto work.... you don't have a file system and directory where you have to manage your photos... "it just works" for better or worse.

1. Customer base won't drop off immediately, or evaporate completely, but IMO, it is a growing discriminator against Apple. All of the other "high end" phones, whether it be Android or WP7, are 4 inch or larger. Look around the forums, there are people asking for this feature.

3. If that's their position, then that's unfortunate because some apps that should be "smart" will continue to be "dumb".

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
If Apple introduces a 4 inch iPhone, sales will be significantly higher than before. It's holding off a lot of people. 4 inches is the sweet spot.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
If Apple introduces a 4 inch iPhone, sales will be significantly higher than before. It's holding off a lot of people. 4 inches is the sweet spot.

I completely disagree with this. Just because you know four or five people that agree with you does not mean "a lot". There are millions of iPhone users who are perfectly happy with the current working and design of the iPhone today. Sure, I'll agree that a percentage of them are interested to see what Apple will do next, and an even smaller percentage of them and the super-nerds(myself included) see problems or lackings within the current iOS and would love to see Apple actually innovate and make some form of drastic change, but that is is no way even jokingly a large number of people, good sir. Average consumers buy phones because it suits their needs at the time in which they buy them. Whether that be an Apple iPhone or something else is dictated by whoever buys it. Nothing more.

If Apple introduces a 4" screen, it won't really matter. Look at the iPhone 4S. Highest selling iPhone to date, and before release people on this forum said "NO 1 WIL BYE IF aple DECID TO NT PUT for in scrn!!!!1!!!1". Yes, that was intentionally mis-typed, and yes, that was me making fun of everyone.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
the OS is fantastic, however i am open to a bit of change. the notification centre is a start...

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011

I personally think a 4 inch phone is overcompensating. That and, it's like TOO much screen space on the phone going unused. My co-worker just got the Galaxy Nexus, and I'm not impressed at all. I had the Thunderbolt, and honestly felt like I had a FIOS remote in my hand. Look below.

23j5r1w.jpg

can you imagine apple having that 4x4 + dock icon on a 4 inch screen? I'm not THAT blind, but no...Plus I dont want to buy a privacy screen for my phone because of my large screen. Keep the iphone the way it is. Trust me, if you need to watch movies and all.. get a tv, or an ipad.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I personally think a 4 inch phone is overcompensating. That and, it's like TOO much screen space on the phone going unused. My co-worker just got the Galaxy Nexus, and I'm not impressed at all. I had the Thunderbolt, and honestly felt like I had a FIOS remote in my hand. Look below.

can you imagine apple having that 4x4 + dock icon on a 4 inch screen? I'm not THAT blind, but no...Plus I dont want to buy a privacy screen for my phone because of my large screen. Keep the iphone the way it is. Trust me, if you need to watch movies and all.. get a tv, or an ipad.

Poppycock:confused:

Apple cannot possibly introduce an iPhone 5 with the same 3.5 inch screen. Lets hope apple knows better and not follow RIM.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Poppycock:confused:

Apple cannot possibly introduce an iPhone 5 with the same 3.5 inch screen. Lets hope apple knows better and not follow RIM.

They did. The fifth generation iPhone is the iPhone 4S, which has a 3.5" screen. Also, never compare RIM to Apple. Apple is not just a phone and tablet company. They are much moreso than that.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I don't believe so. People have become accustomed to the look and feel of iOS. It is that familiarity that makes it easy to find what you need relatively quickly. I am not sure a ton of bells and whistles will make it better. Apple specializes in keeping its interfaces simple and easy to navigate is as few screens as possible. This is their secret ingredient others have not been able to duplicate.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I just got a Galaxy Nexus, and while it looked big the first day, now it looks just normal to me.

Funny how that works :)

In any case, I am loving the 1280x720 screen.

To each, their own.
The only problem is the screen is Pentile, which sucks!

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
id love a 4 inch screen. Honestly i look at these android devices and i get jealous that the screen is so big. 4 inches is definitely the sweet spot for me, as long as they dont make the phone too much bigger.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Apple caters to the masses, not us nerds and spec geeks. There's a reason why the iPhone is the #1 best selling pone in the world. It's not because they've changed a lot and followed what the other phone manufacturers are doing. The other phone manufacturers make specs their selling point because Apple doesn't and they think that's what people want. iOS is beautiful, easy and intuitive. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be beating their own sales records after each iPhone release. The numbers speak for themselves. What Apple is doing with ios is what the people want.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
How does it suck? Because its a different technology to what apple uses therefore it sucks. I have one and I can read my mail, browse sites, send messages etc etc all with a lovely clear, crisp, colourful (and big) screen! How does that suck?

The only problem is the screen is Pentile, which sucks!

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
How does it suck? Because its a different technology to what apple uses therefore it sucks. I have one and I can read my mail, browse sites, send messages etc etc all with a lovely clear, crisp, colourful (and big) screen! How does that suck?

First I never claimed you wouldn't be able to read your mail or browse the web... of course you can. And I've never said it had anything to do with apple not using it. Samsung and HTC both use SLCD displays and SAMOLED displays in their devices FYI. That doesn't change the fact that pentile sucks. It cuts out green sub-pixels because the human eye is least susceptible to that color. Just because you may not have good enough vision to notice, does not mean the problem is not there. You just aren't going to get correct color reproduction with sub-pixels like this:

Nexus_one_screen_microscope.jpg

For comparison sakes, here is the arrangement of iPhone screens:

retina-display-microscope.jpg

Then you have the entire argument of whether each "pixel" in a pentile display is actually a real "pixel" because it doesn't contain the standard 3 sub pixels (RGB) for each pixel. Some claim since it reduces the number of sub pixels by 1/3, that the claimed resolution should also be reduced by 1/3.

Sorry, but I see absolutely no benefit to having a pentile display for a consumer. All it does is allow companies to boast about the high resolution of their device basically deceiving customers by making them think they have a higher resolution than the competition.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
You don't get it - I don't care about the resolution. I don't care about cutting out green sub pixels or getting correct color reproduction or fake or real pixels. I just don't care. What I do care about is that the screen is sharp, clear, crisp and displays everything I want, how I want it.

I pick up the phone and the screen looks great. Everything else is irrelevant to me.

First I never claimed you wouldn't be able to read your mail or browse the web... of course you can. And I've never said it had anything to do with apple not using it. Samsung and HTC both use SLCD displays and SAMOLED displays in their devices FYI. That doesn't change the fact that pentile sucks. It cuts out green sub-pixels because the human eye is least susceptible to that color. Just because you may not have good enough vision to notice, does not mean the problem is not there. You just aren't going to get correct color reproduction with sub-pixels like this:

For comparison sakes, here is the arrangement of iPhone screens:

Then you have the entire argument of whether each "pixel" in a pentile display is actually a real "pixel" because it doesn't contain the standard 3 sub pixels (RGB) for each pixel. Some claim since it reduces the number of sub pixels by 1/3, that the claimed resolution should also be reduced by 1/3.

Sorry, but I see absolutely no benefit to having a pentile display for a consumer. All it does is allow companies to boast about the high resolution of their device basically deceiving customers by making them think they have a higher resolution than the competition.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
You don't get it - I don't care about the resolution. I don't care about cutting out green sub pixels or getting correct color reproduction or fake or real pixels. I just don't care. What I do care about is that the screen is sharp, clear, crisp and displays everything I want, how I want it.

I pick up the phone and the screen looks great. Everything else is irrelevant to me.
I don't care if you care, i never said you had to, in fact i never was even talking to you... you're the one arguing with me asking me why pentile sucks. I clearly explain why it sucks and then you climb back into your shell claiming you don't care about this or that.

Ok then, why are you even responding and asking me what sucks about it? If you like your screen, that's great, I'm happy for you, but don't try to tell me pentile screens are better, because they are not.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I don't believe so. People have become accustomed to the look and feel of iOS. It is that familiarity that makes it easy to find what you need relatively quickly. I am not sure a ton of bells and whistles will make it better. Apple specializes in keeping its interfaces simple and easy to navigate is as few screens as possible. This is their secret ingredient others have not been able to duplicate.

Apple is the Mercedes of the computer/smartphone world. Keep a basic style for a number of years, upgrade incrementally over a short period, then wow with a major upgrade. Innovate like mad and always, always, always bring a superior product to market.

Android phones take the shotgun approach. A dozen incompatible operating systems, splashy but buggy innovations (green apples?!?) total lack of design, hardware that fails more than it delivers, etc.

Cali seems to think that Apple is there solely to cater to the needs of him and his friends when Apple has never and will never take such an approach to their products. He's just one of a million or more naysayers who fail to understand that Apple's phenomenal rise is the result of the attempt to achieve perfection, not the result of catering to the fickle masses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.