iPad Is Apple Showcasing White Ipad Air (over black)?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by caesarp, Oct 30, 2013.

1. caesarp, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

caesarp macrumors 6502a

I've generally been a black apple device guy (black iphone 5 and black ipad 3rd gen).

But in most of the reviews and ads for the ipad air, the focus seems to be on the white version. You can rarely if ever see high quality black ipad air photos or a comparison of the white and black air side by side.

So I'm thinking the white version of the air is the subjectively nicer version (it certainly shines better in the photos out there) -- but it could just be the emphasis of the Apple ads and not real world? I'm thinking of getting the white air to replace my black ipad 3.

Thoughts as to white vs. black air?

2. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

I personally just like white better. Some people say that you get distracted by the white border, or they say why do you think TV's are black. But that is bull.

3. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

iOS 7 has a more minimalist design with an emphasis on white/empty space. My guess is that the two are related.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Makes for good copy/video, etc. Does not mean they like one over the other. Just works well.

5. Vctr macrumors regular

It's a good way to differentiate the look of your product as well, given the sea of black tablets and phones everywhere. Apple is one of few companies that do a white device right.

6. caesarp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well its true for high-end viewing such as HD TVs or home theater projection screens (or movie theaters). But an iPad is rarely used for critical film viewing. Being a more casual device I agree that the border doesn't matter for perceived contrast ratio or black level.

If you are concerned about contrast ratio, iPads are not your device of choice. Anymore than a serious music fan will listen to compressed music files via a mobile device, over a high-end stereo system.