Is Apple slaccking in the application department?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macswitcha2, Mar 17, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I don't mean in regards to quantity, there are a lot of Mac based apps out there. I'm talking about Apple and there own apps or software?

They have perfected their OS and their hardware in regards to their computers ( not so much their peripherals) but have they slacked on putting in lots of other products like Mobile Me, iWork, etc, etc? Can they blow us out of the water with those things like they have done with their OS and Macs?

2. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

What for when external developers cover pretty much everything?

3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I have often thought about this but I guess it is pretty similar to the iPod accessory market.

Apple on ever made one true iPod accessory, the socks, and there where a bit of a piss take! See if apple started to make cases and add-ons for the iPod / iPhone etc... then it will turn away developers. Now what makes the iPhone a success, the third part add-ons. If Apple starts to tread on their toes then they won't make the accessories and Apple will loose sales of their products. So it is in the best interests of Apple to let other people do their leg work.

It's similar with mac apps, developers have far more time and resources to develop fantastic apps than Apple would. This is what makes the OS such a success.

Now what I would like to see is a Mac App store similar to the iTunes music store. I guess we are starting to see that with Steam.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

But will Apple start controlling exactly what applications you can have on your Mac?