Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Or just selling out existing stock? I ask because if it's the latter, then it's very possible that prices for used iPad 1's are going to creep back up IF Apple doesn't soon solve the iPad 2 supply issues.

I was at Datavision in NY yesterday, and during a very short visit two different groups of people came in, asked for the iPad 2, and instead purchased iPad 1's rather than walk away empty handed. That was very surprising to me.

Since Apple runs pretty close to just in time inventory, unless they're still making 1's, I would think they are going to run out very soon. When they do, if the 2 is still basically impossible to find (thanks resellers!) and has a 4-5 week web order time (which btw I interpret as 'we have no ****ing idea when these will ship') then I think we'll see used iPad 1 prices creep back up.

Just a stab.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I would bet that they are NOT making iPad 1s; but you could be right about used iPads once they disappear completely from stock. I think the majority of people will just resign themselves to waiting, however (or stumping up for the reseller fees on eBay for the iPad 2).

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Everything I've seen is "while supplies last" so I doubt it. Not like continuing to make previous models of iPhone to offer low-price alternatives to current model. That's more a phone market thing, where cheap ($99 or less) smartphones are available from other manufacturers so it suits them to offer something similar.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I doubt they are making iPad 1s. They are making parts for them for repair, but to sell as a whole, there's no point if they can sell the 2 at the same prices.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I like your theory about iPad 1 pricing. If I hadn't given my iPad 1 to my husband, it looks like it would've been a good idea to wait for them to run out before trying to sell it.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I heard production stopped on iPad 1's about a month or so ago. What you find now is remaining stock. Once that stock is gone, there will be no more "new" iPad 1's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.