Is Apple still replacing cracked cases on 13" macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MBHockey, Jul 23, 2011.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

My friend has a Penryn 13" MacBook (not the unibody) and the bottom casing (palm wrest area) is all cracking and the trackpad button is pretty lousy. My brother has the same MacBook and a year ago or so he got this bottom case piece replaced for free by Apple (even though it was outside the warranty period). Any idea if apple is still doing these replacements for free?

2. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Not sure about getting it replaced outside the warranty period, but I can say that Apple replaced the palm rest / trackpad / keyboard assembly in my late '06 about four times b/c of cracking.

Let me know if you're successful in getting yours replaced w/ expired AppleCare. That would be sweeeeeeet.

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm going to go to a the genius bar tomorrow and see. IIRC the "thing" was that Apple was replacing this part even outside of the warranty period because it was such a pervasive issue. We'll see how it goes.

4. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yup, they are still doing it. I got it done today on an early 2008 13" macbook that's well out of its warranty period. New trackpad, keyboard, top case, and display bezel all for free. Good stuff!

5. bdb0307 macrumors newbie

i just got my case replaced today from apple for FREE! gotta love it! anyone else reading this should go do it asap before they start running out of parts or change their mind

6. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Can they do it in-store, or do I have to send it to them?

7. BL4zD macrumors 6502

they'll do it in the store but they might have to order the part in for you