Is Apple still replacing cracked casing?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by definitive, Apr 23, 2012.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I remember reading a while back that at some point Apple allowed its customers to get their cracked cases replaced in the MacBooks for free even if they were past their warranty. Are they still doing this?

2. cshel24 macrumors member

I just discovered my white Macbook has a teeny tiny little crack in the palm rest area, I thought it was a scratch at first. I have another tiny little chipped looking area on the area around the screen.

I don't remember ever dropping anything on the computer, or dropping the computer itself, but the little crack is there.

I figured they would blame it on physical damage or something. I did not know this was a common and covered problem. I hope it is at least. I figure it is worth a call to ask now. I actually have AppleCare with a couple months left.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. cshel24, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

cshel24 macrumors member

I just got off the phone w/Apple.

They said the program is good for 5 years after purchase. They told me to take it in to a local authorized service provider and they would look it over and go from there. If that didn't work out call them back and they would go from there. Unfortunately the place is closed at the moment so I will have to wait until tomorrow before I can call them to set up an appointment and it will probably be the weekend b]efore I can get into the service center.

It is hard to see the crack, it is to the left of the chipped looking place.

[​IMG]

5. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

Thanks. In that case I'll give it a try.

haha what you showed is nothing compared to what mine has. Large cracks all over the top and bottom parts of the case, and several inches of the keyboard edge completely broke off. I hope the'll take care of it the next time I visit their store.

6. wmmf macrumors member

Yes, they are still doing this, and my top piece was just replaced with no fuss, even though it's four years old. Bad cracks on the front edge, left and right of center, and now it looks (and smells!) like new. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that your local Apple store may not have the piece in stock, so see if they'll just do an order, let you keep your machine, then call you when it's in. Should just take a couple of hours at that point to do the actual install. Good luck...

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

For refrence

http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

9. cshel24, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

cshel24 macrumors member

Just an update about mine. I took mine in the other day. They fixed it free of charge. I just got it back today. The new casing feels different. Maybe it is a stronger material than the old case and won't crack.

Also, may I add.. (which is probably no surprise my everybody but me) keyboard and trackpad have also been replaced. Once again you can see the letter "E" on the keyboard :)

10. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

They only replaced the keyboard and bezel for me, and left the cracked lid and bottom cover. Either way, it's better than nothing.

11. makinao macrumors regular

I finally took in my 2009 Crackbook last month, now that I have a new mbp 15. Apple replaced the bezel, topcase, keyboard, and trackpad for free. Thanks Apple.

12. saggel macrumors regular

I've had the keyboard/trackpad on my early 2008 macbook replaced almost 1,5 years ago, and now it's cracked again (this time on both sides)! Do you know if they still replace it for free at the early 2008 models? Thank you in advance!

13. Bear macrumors G3

I think that depends on when in 2008 you bought it. Your best bet is to either call Apple or take it to an Apple store and find out for sure. Maybe if you get a Genius in a good mood they'll overlook that it's a tad over 5 years old.

14. saggel macrumors regular

Thank you so much for the response!
    It was purchased around the end of 2008 so I hope it's still covered...
    I'll try and find out...

Do you know how much it'd cost to also replace the bottom part?

15. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I had a white 2006 MB (replaced now by my black MB) that's top was pretty badly chipped...took it in about 9 months ago and was fixed no questions asked (took about 30 min,no charge)...

16. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

17. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Yes they are. The cracks on the clamshell around the hinge area are still covered.

18. Ky.osni macrumors newbie

I just got off the phone with Apple. Apparently I was really lucky to find this thread today as tomorrow will be 5 years after I bought my Santa Rosa Macbook. One thing to keep in mind for SR-models and the machines of previous generations is that they are 'Vintage', meaning Apple might not be able to replace parts anymore. Warranty on their replacement parts is also 0 days according to AppleCare.