Is apple trying to tell us something......

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolweirdo, Oct 23, 2011.

1. coolweirdo macrumors regular

coolweirdo

Ok so here is my issue, why would apple add HSPA+ capabilities to the iphone 4s if noone but att can benefit from it? what about sprint and verizon

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Only AT&T? Have you ever traveled outside of the US? Many other abroad carriers can utilize HSPA+. Why can't Verizon and Sprint? Its because of a choice they made in the 1990's to go with CDMA cellular technology instead of the now more prevalent GSM technology.

3. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that att was once the sole carrier of the iphone and since then has lost that title. I assume Apple is throwing them a bone this time around.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Don't just think US, there are more Iphones sold outside the US. Almost every carrier that has the Iphone outside the US has HSPA+

5. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

you would think apple would make it a fair game in the US knowing only one carrier in the us supports HSPA+, thats the part that i really dont get. Do you think that there is somethin that we dont know about. that sprint verizon may be able to benefit from this feature in the near future?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple isn't trying to make one carrier appear better then the other. Apple is going up the ramp of cellular tech and HSPA+ just so happens to be the next step. Rather than jumping to LTE like Verizon did or WiMax like Sprint did. Apple is thinking on a global scale, where LTE and WiMax are both rare at this time. Don't forget that the needed chips are not up to Apple's standards at this time.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Like everyone has said, Apple is thinking on the larger scale. Two carriers not supporting HSPA+ is nothing, they'd rather have that support since pretty much every other carrier in the world will be doing HSPA+.

8. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

so there is nothing sprint or verizon can do to benefit from HSPA+?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nothing at all, except get overseas data roaming charges faster.

10. chrisvee macrumors regular

Rogers, a carrier up here in Canada, has HSPA+! ;)

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Leave Feedback at Apple to add T-Mobile to their lineup, so that way theres at least two HSPA+ providers. This all could have been solved by ENABLING the bands used by T-Mobile.

The new chipsets actually SUPPORT T-Mobile's AWS band, it just them supporting the merger between T-Mobile and AT&T, which is why they didn't enable them. They wouldn't have to make ANY HARDWARE CHANGES AT ALL WITH the 4S. The chip was INTENTIONALLY CRIPPLED VIA the baseband software itself, but it DEFINITELY SUPPORTS AWS according to many reports.

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Nobody likes Tmobile. Personally that's why I think they didn't go through with it; the carrier is lacking and people don't think of it when they think of "the big three".

Now of course there are other, legitimate reasons that I don't think anybody here knows, but there's a reason it isnt there. Tmobile is known for pushing Android though, and due to the fact that it's a somewhat small carrier, I can see the reasoning behind leaving it out.

13. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

There is one reason why people don't like T-Mobile: LACK OF iPHONE

Before 2007, people were perfectly fine with T-Mobile, the iPhone is literally bringing this great carrier to the ground, and Apple isn't helping it. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone!

14. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Or maybe word of mouth, lack thereof, and the combination of service that isn't that great? By service I mean signal and reception.

They have great phones; if it was just about the iPhone Verizon wouldn't have been doing so well before now, because they just got the iPhone.

They're just falling behind through lack of hardware and service. You could attribute it to the iPhone, it sure as hell isn't belong them, but that isn't the only reason.

15. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

maybe att had some say in tmobile not getting the iphone in hopes of the carrier crumbling so att can prove that by them buying them can benefit both carriers

16. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Everybody has come out openly about this; Apple made the decision to not go with Tmobile. The question is why.

17. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

In addition to the mostly correct info others have posted...

Apple's decision to support HSPA+ gives them the "best bang for the buck" in a couple of different ways. First, HSPA+ is supported by a large number of carriers (globally speaking). Second, since it's basically an enhancement to the GSM 3G standard that was already supported in previous iPhones, it was a relatively easy upgrade for them to provide (the latest Qualcomm chip that they use supports it natively, meaning no additional circuit board room or power consumption).

Sprint and Verizon, on the other hand, use completely different high-speed protocols (WiMax and LTE, respectively). Globally these are nowhere near as common as HSPA+, and there is no single-chip radio solution that would allow these technologies to be added to the iPhone on top of the GSM capabilities it needs to support the vast majority of international carriers. Apple has indicated that they are not willing to make "design compromises" to support LTE with multiple chips, and a single-chip solution can't be done until the Qualcomm MDM9615 is released in 2nd quarter 2012. That will give LTE capability, but still no WiMax - Sprint is phasing out WiMax in favor of LTE.

18. kramerica2 macrumors regular

I've got some news for you, there are ~192 countries beside the US. Almost 100 of them have the iPhone.
    Most of those countries don't even have major CDMA carriers anymore. No sim cards, no ability to transfer voice and data simultaneously. Why would anybody choose them over a GSM carrier?

HSPA+ is available on most carriers that sell the iPhone.

Don't worry, soon enough LTE would kick in, and hopefully everything would be better for everyone.

19. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

do you think LTE will support voice and data simultaneously??

20. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It is the evolution from GSM 3G, so yes. Technically VZW and Sprint are finally dumping CDMA for a real worldwide standard.