Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
I use mine to send video from my iPad and iPhone to my TV.

It works with hulu, youtube, and most other apps.

I rented a movie from the itunes store yesterday, and streamed it from my iPad. What surprised me though, is that I could still use the iPad while it streamed the movie! :eek: That's some pretty slick multitasking.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
I download all my movies, tv shows and music off torrents then put them into iTunes. So for me it's worth it. Stream all my movies off my desktop to my Apple tv is great, then I have my pictures as a slide show. AirPlay with my music is great. I also use Netflix with it too that way I don't have to use my 360.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
This.

I "find" shows on certain websites. I convert them to Apple TV compatible formats and stream them though Apple TV. Saves me subscription fees to Premium channels

Thats the onle reason I have yet to buy an Apple TV. The moment they play the more common formats available around the place I'll get 2 or 3 of them for the TV's at home.

I have no intention of converting programs for the apple TV - I hate doing it for the iPhone and iPad...

vachargerfan

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
I also use Netflix with it too that way I don't have to use my 360.

It is a crock that you have to pay the Xbox live account to use netflix. That was another reason I went with Apple TV. 2 years and it has paid for itself

----------

Thats the onle reason I have yet to buy an Apple TV. The moment they play the more common formats available around the place I'll get 2 or 3 of them for the TV's at home.

I have no intention of converting programs for the apple TV - I hate doing it for the iPhone and iPad...

It isn't too bad converting them. I usually just set the conversion to go overnight. Then watch them the next day. It would be nice to be able to play avi 's though. I might have to look into JB'ing it if it will play those

Montanan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
It would be nice to be able to play avi 's though. I might have to look into JB'ing it if it will play those

It took Firecore a long time to get the bugs out of their media player software for the jailbroken black Apple TVs ... but it's finally at a point where I can really recommend it. It streams pretty much everything I throw at it, now.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I love mine. Comes in handy when I'm cleaning and want to stream music from my iTunes on my MB Pro. Comes in handy for of course Netflix. I've even used the YouTube on it a few times. Airplay is a no brainer. I picked mine up earlier this year for $75 brand new from a seller on Craigslist.

vachargerfan

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
It took Firecore a long time to get the bugs out of their media player software for the jailbroken black Apple TVs ... but it's finally at a point where I can really recommend it. It streams pretty much everything I throw at it, now.

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up :D

newoverhere

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
I had an apple TV but returned it and got boxee box.

I had an apple TV for couple of weeks but found it to be too limited in fucntionality, does not have much online content, can't play most of the files (mkv,avi).

I spend a little more and got boxee box, can do everything which apple tv does(except mirroring) and lot more. I can stream bluray,mkv,avi or any type of file in full high definition (1080p) from my local network, can also stream many online content (Vimeo, CNET, Revision3, Youtube, engadget, etc..).

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I love my Apple TV and actually may get a second.

All my movies are in iTunes format and it's a Netflix, youtube, and gaming system for the kids in one box I have mounted behind the TV that takes up no space.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
It isn't too bad converting them. I usually just set the conversion to go overnight. Then watch them the next day. It would be nice to be able to play avi 's though. I might have to look into JB'ing it if it will play those

It's not the converting, it's the 5TB of already stored videos here on the network that play fine via a Media PC connected to the TV. To replace that PC, which I want to do, with NAS drives (hidden out in the shed) and an Apple TV would mean re-encoding them, and then to play on the PC's here I'd need to install other software - stuff that

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Do you mean the current ATV or the l. Steve Jobs "cracking the code" for a new branded television product?

If the current Apple TV, for me yes it's worth it. Why? Because I don't watch much television in the first place, meaning I see no reason to pay for cable or other subscription services. For $99 I still get occasional access to quality entertainment and media. I actually use my ATV mostly for internet radio and podcasts. I may also eventualy get an AirPlay speaker. Rarely rent movies.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I have both the Apple TV 2 (out of curiosity + cheap price) and a 2009 Mac Mini hooked up to my HDTV. Apple TV is pretty much useless outside the US since half of its functions are gone. So it's only for Airplay / Mirroring and for 99 dollars I cannot complain much but I can't say it's dirt cheap. It's now just sitting next to the TV and collecting dust.

The Mac mini however can play whatever content I throw at it at whatever resolution from whatever source. Of course it's 5 times more expensive ($600), but in current form the Apple TV cannot replace even 10% of the capability of the Mini.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
When my TV is turned off, will Apple TV act exactly like airport express when hooked up to speakers?

I am tempted to buy one, so I can move my airport express to another room.

Cheers

bigtrip

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010

If you "find" videos and have an apple tv, look into the air video app. You can stream ANY video format from your computer, through your phone or iPad, straight to the apple tv with no conversion. It works like a charm. I stream xvids, avi, and the like almost every day and I can't remember the last time I had to convert something. I can't recommend it enough!

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
For me it was a no brainer. I got it mainly to stream music from my computer to stereo. I figured it is the same price for either apple tv or airport express and the apple tv does more so I got one.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
If you "find" videos and have an apple tv, look into the air video app. You can stream ANY video format from your computer, through your phone or iPad, straight to the apple tv with no conversion. It works like a charm. I stream xvids, avi, and the like almost every day and I can't remember the last time I had to convert something. I can't recommend it enough!

Ahh I do use that direct to my iPad 2 at home. I guess I could also use the same method to stream to the TV - thanks, I might get an Apple TV and try it... :D

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
I bought one yesterday for mainly watching videos from y 4S on a big screen. Yes I know it is only 720 and the iphone is 1080 but I felt I could live with the downgrade. The problem is the ATV can;t really handle the video.

It obviously converts on the go so there is a lag but when it actually does play the quality was terrible, jittery etc. I have watched low quality rips of standards dvds via airplay on my tv and they looked amazing. Really disappointed the videos from their flagship product would not work.

Took it back just now! Will have to wait till this issue is sorted, probably via an updated ATV using an A5 chip!

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
It's just worth when you are an apple fanatic and buy all your media stuff with iTunes, everyone else just ignore it.

You're so wrong on so many different levels. Firstly, you don't have to purchase it from iTunes to stream it. Second, what about Netflix? Or LIVE SPORTS. Or iCloud (what you stated), or Mirroring devices? Or streaming directly from your phone to your entertainment system. Just stop talking typing.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
The apple tv is great for entertainment for parties and guests. Since its not something a lot of people would buy one themselves, I decided to get one for my groomsmen in my wedding party. My wife surprised me with one too and feel the price is fair for what it does.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

nexsta said:
It's just worth when you are an apple fanatic and buy all your media stuff with iTunes, everyone else just ignore it.

That's just ignorant. I rarely buy anything from iTunes. Song usually come from Amazon or 'elsewhere'. Videos are ripped, etc, yet I stream all my media from iTunes to all my iOS devices all the time. You don't need to purchase through iTunes to make use of Apple Tv

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010

Exactly, why don't they allow it to play avi and such?

I hate converting to QuickTime movie...

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
For netflix alone is worth it. Unless you don't use netflix, then it's an expensive hockey puck.

If you jailbreak it, you can install XBMC which is cool if you have a server full of movies.

CmdrThor

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
For me it was not worth it to buy because it does not support any over the air recording with an antenna. I do not "find" tv shows on "certain websites", nor do I want to pay $1.99 to watch something that is broadcast over the air for free. For me the best option was an Acer Revo as an HTPC with Xboxes as media center extenders. One Xbox Arcade I got for $99 after Amazon rebate and I got the newer 4GB w/ kinect for $199 after rebate. This allows me to have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and all of my recorded shows on any of my TVs.

The Xbox Live requirement is definitely a minus, but I get it through a friend from the Microsoft Company Store so it is at least about half price. If I could have the exact same setup with a Mac Mini recording shows and Apple TVs as extenders (without any converting) I would have done it, but Apple prefers you to buy stuff through iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.