Is Apple using Hyunix's memory for the 8-core Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Jun 16, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

It looks like it does. Could anybody please confirm that? I went to www.hynix.com but cannot find related products for the mac pro. How is Hynix's RAM compared with those from Crucial and Buffalo?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I doubt it is any different. You should be buying memory from other companies if you can anyway (rather than direct from Apple). Go for the best price from a reputable provider and don't worry too much else about it. Most people reccomend www.macsales.com

I don't believe that Apple only use memory from Hynix either so you might get Samsung or Mircon (Crucial) for all I know.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Apple uses different brands, Hynix is no different from anyone else, RAM doesn't change that much.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Does size of the heat sink matters?

Does the size of the heat sink matters? Some companies put heat sinks of larger surface areas on their RAMs.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hynix (and Samsung, and Elpida and Qimonda and Micron) do not sell to the public. They make modules and chipsets that they sell in bulk to manufacturers and to RAM assemblers and rebranders.

So when you buy an Apple machine, it may have Hynix or Samsung or Micron modules in it, Apple uses their suppliers interchangeably.

When you buy a name brand memory module from Crucial or OWC or DMS or whomever, it could be made with Hynix or Samsung or Micron chips. Buffalo manufactures their own modules, but not the chips --they buy the chips from one of the major foundries (the chips are private-labelled for them). If the foundry makes both the circuit board and the chips and assembles them, it's called for example a "Samsung Genuine" or "Samsung Original" module. If the module uses a third party circuit board with a major brand chipset, then it is called "Samsung-on-third" memory.

(Crucial is owned by Micron but they do not use exclusively Micron modules, although Micron makes the majority of their modules they also rebrand Samsung and Elpida and others)