Is Apple worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FiremanMike, Apr 11, 2011.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

After purchasing an iPod touch for my wife and daughter for Christmas, we have been slowly gravitating towards apple. My wife and I got iphones when they hit verizon, and I bought an ipad 2 on launch day.. I have slowly come to the conclusion that I would like to migrate my PCs over to mac, and naturally the moment I said that my wife's laptop died.

So here I am shopping for macbooks, and the price premium is substantial. The general aura of mac's are that they are more refined and the OS is more polished, they also have a reputation for lasting longer than PCs..

So my question to you, mac users, is whether this aura is deserved or marketing. I am quite happy with the apple products we have now, but I am experiencing a bit of sticker shock at the moment..

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on what you need it for. Windows can play movies and view websites just as well as OS X can.

3. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

True, but it seems to be the general consensus that OSx does it smoother and doesn't get the gradual slowdown seen in every PC due to spyware, etc..

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"The general consensus" does not mean something is correct. On this forum and many others, people will advocate for what they think is best. Just because a lot of people have the same opinion due to ignorance or whatever doesn't mean they're right.

The fact is that a well-maintained Windows machine will be just fine over the long run. Especially with the more modern operating systems.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

This is true, however, a Mac in general will require less maintenance than a Windows-based PC. My father, a basic computer user that upgrades his computer once every 5-6 years, bought himself a Mac mini to do his computing (general stuff, as well as running his small business). While he does not 'love' it as most hardcore Macheads do, he has mentioned to me several times that it just seems to work better than his PC ever did, and a year on, it is still just as good as it was new, whereas his PCs would be getting a bit sluggish at this point.

6. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

... this is exactly why I posted this.. I wanted to find out from people who actually used macs..

7. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Well, I use Macs for my work system, and Macs at home. However, I maintain Windows systems; both desktops and servers at my job. So that says something...

However, it's true a Windows system will run fine. Depends on the needs. My personal preference is Mac, because of the ease of use, less prone to issues, no viruses [yet], and overall just a more pleasant experience. IMO, the "Apple Tax" or "Premium" stated is worth it. Doesn't mean it's better, or that I'm right. It's my opinion, my money, and that's how I prefer to spend my $$, time, and resources...

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I think even from a design standpoint, a Mac is worth it. The trackpad on laptops is fantastic as well as the battery life. I prefer OSX to Windows as well.

9. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

Not terribly helpful responses.

The general consensus is not always right.. but usually is. To down play that it makes not sense.

"Just fine"? Define, that. Historically, Mac have been FAR easier to use and maintain than PCs. IT's not even close. Things are changing, Windows is getting better I must admit. In some areas though, Mac still have the up hand.

In my opinion, here are some points to consider:

• Macs are still easier to use.
    • Mac are far more secure. There is almost no widespread malware on Mac OS X. Surfing and downloading software on the internet is like wading through a cesspool. With a Mac you do it in a rubber suit. With a PC you do it wearing speedos.
    • There is far more software available for Windows than Macs.
    • PCs beat Macs for gaming hands down.
    • If you just want to surf, watch movies, work on documents and do general computing tasks without muss for fuss, a Mac mightbe the way to go.
    • In general, Apple hardware beats nearly all other hardware. It's pricey but good. Also, no other hardware holds it's resale value like Macs. People sell 2 years Mac for close to what they paid for it. Check eBay, it's hard to believe but true... and I'm looking at current bids and closed auctions.

10. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

On that note, would you buy a 2 year old used MacBook on craigslist with any confidence?

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Depends on price and condition, but I would if everything checks out.

12. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

With Applecare, sure.

13. xvm macrumors newbie

I agree. I've had the same MacBook for 3-4 years. Never a problem *knock on wood* to date, except for having to replace a couple of those shoddily made chargers. My roommate on the other hand has gone through 2 PCs in the past 3-4 years and now has a top of the line Sony Vaio that needs constant updating and has already had a visit to the shop, though she's only had it since Christmas.

14. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I've used Mac's and PC's on and off for 7 years now and while I appreciate the flexibility Windows offers I feel that Mac is just an easier platform to use. Not only is it more secure and safer, you don't spend as much time trying to make things work as you would with Windows. I mean you do have to do some maintenance to Mac, but it's not nearly as involving as Windows. I do prefer Windows when it comes to gaming and general software compatibility. On top of that, there are alot more solid choices in the sub-$800 price range when it comes to laptops whereas Apple offers nothing under $1000. However if you would like to try Mac out and not spend so much $$$, from time to time Apple offers a certified refurbished MacBook for $759 on there website. It's the model I have listed in my signature and it comes with a full 1 year Apple warranty with the option to upgrade to AppleCare and it looks just like a brand new laptop. I bought a used MacBook off eBay in February and while the description said it was in great condition it was actually in terrible shape and I ended up selling it because it was so bad, so just be careful with used laptops.

If you do get a Mac and decide it's not for you, they have a great resale value and you can get most of what you paid for it back. Apple also offers a 14 day return period with a 10% restocking fee so the choice is yours. Good luck.

15. treestar macrumors 6502

The answer is yes.

Maybe you can lessen the cost by buying less computers, getting minis, doing smart network file storage, etc. You don't need an imac for every room. Really look into the minis.

16. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I would disagree. If you do a head-to-head comparison for two very comparably equipped machines, then there is at most $100-200 dollar difference. I (personally) don't consider that much of a premium for a better OS and better build quality.

Apple doesn't make cheap machines and they don't make crap either.

17. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Not worth it if you use a lot of software. It's such a pain to switch initially, it took me two+ years to find alternatives to everything I had on Windows XP lol, but that was also in 2004ish, it's probably easier now.

Also, if you browse the web a lot, you might not want a Mac. While this wasn't a problem when I switched, over the past couple of years things like java & flash, both of which consumers use a lot when browsing the web, don't function very well on OS X sometimes.

If neither of those bother you, than yea, it's worth switching. All of my Macs have lasted until they were too slow for me to continue to use. Not one has ever died on me when it was my main machine.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I fix Windows servers and desktops for a living and unless your gaming or need a Windows specific software that is performance intensive I will always suggest going Mac. I switched roughly three years ago when Vista came out and haven't looked back.

I'm sorry but this is complete FUD. Flash and Java work fine. Yes flash is a bit more resource intensive on OSX but it still works perfectly well.

19. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

It's my personal experience that they don't function properly, I'm just sharing it. Java seems to be terrible under OS X, most online java applications I've used do not work properly on any browser but Safari, and even on Safari it's laggy. Flash isn't too bad but it likes to crash web browsers. Both work fine on my Windows laptop, so clearly it's an OS X thing.

20. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

Hmm. maybe your apps use odd extensions or something. I've never had any issue java, not the apps that I have used or the small apps that I have written.

21. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

Mac OS X is not for everyone nor are they cheap. Windows has a vastly superior selection of software and hardware. However, if you don't need specialized software or hardware. If your requirements are mainstream and you don't mind paying a little more, the odds are that you will be happy with a Mac.

One thing about the money though, you pay more up front but less down the road. Anti-virus over 3 - 5 years could run you $200. I paid $200 for a Vista upgrade, then I was asked to pay another $200 for Windows 7 a few years later.. And I had 4 workstation.. so that was all PER WORKSTATION. Snow Leopard cost me $30 for DVD, that I could use as much as I wanted.... No horrible license to manage. I would guess that Lion will be less than $50 for all my Macs.

As far are system resources go, You can't really think the even a C2D will have problems. I have a 2010 MBP and even with 10 tabs open, half of them running flash I don't often come above 10%-15% CPU. No one with a 2010 or 2011 MBP will NOT have any issues with system resources while surfing, running flash or java. While you might find a very rare site or apps that has issues, you will find more that infect a Windows workstation with malware.

In my experience, it is rare for people to make the switch to Macs and not be happy. The only exceptions being gamers and people that require some specialized application. Macs aren't for everyone.. just most people. :)

22. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Oh I agree, I think most people would be happy with a Mac, I know I am. The only real problem I've had with my Macs over the past few years has been with java on websites not working properly. It's a pretty substantial problem for me, so I feel it worth mentioning when questions like this come up.

23. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, the trackpads on the MBPs are the best in the world. Period.

24. Young Spade macrumors 68020

First of, I have been a long-time PC user. I'm 19 and a freshman in college and I am somewhat of a ner and have ben using windows computers ever since I was 5. Of course I stayed grounded with XP as I didn't see a reason to upgrade based on aesthetical purposes, what I could do with the computer is what mattered to me.

About a month or so ago, I felt like I needed to upgrade and get a better computer; as a result I found a great deal on the Black MacBook and got it that weekend.

I'm hooked. The OS is... very different than XP... it feels more refined and polished (like you stated) and it seems like it's personalized for my convenience, not just developed and baked onto a generic computer.

Keyboard commands are great, something I didn't really have with XP. Spotlight allows you to find ANYTHING on your computer by just hitting command + spacebar and typing; it's very, very convenient for finding something you know you're looking for, opening an application, or just opening a folder to browse.

There are a ton of applications that increase your productivity if you feel like delving into the OS, however if you don't it's very simple and easy to use, easy to pick up, and easy to enjoy.

one of my friends got a MacBook Pro earlier this year and brought it around with him wherever he went and I can now understand why, it really is a different experience.

Of course, you don't have things like slowdown due to spyware and viruses like you have with Windows computers, of course it costs more but honestly... I think it's worth it, and I don't think people realize this until they use it for a week or so, then they realize how awesome it is.

25. mcdonap macrumors member

I think the aura is deserved - I don't think it's just marketing.
    I used pc's for close to 20 years in work and personal life. Around 2003, I was starting to get tired of all the headaches that have been mentioned here - slowdowns, malware, etc. (And I always kept my software and antivirus up to date.) So I started to think about getting a Mac. I got one more pc, but when I needed a replacement in 2007, I did get a Mac.

The first thing I noticed was how it seemed to operate in the way I always thought a computer should. Not to sound cliche, but it really did "just work". Coming from the pc, there was just so much less that I had to do to get things to function properly - hardware, software, etc.

I was very receptive to OSX, so I really can't say I had any issues switching from pc to Mac. There are differences, so just don't get frustrated if you do make the switch. The tutorials on the Apple page are actually very helpful.

I've convinced 3 family members to make the switch too. (They look to me for tech support, and I just don't know Windows well enough anymore to help them.) They've all been more than pleased with the switch.

My 2007 Macbook is still running like the day I got it. (Better really with some upgrades I've made. I should note, I wanted to make them, I didn't need to.) I have owned a pc for about 5 years, but using it had gotten pretty unbearable the last year or so. Other than wanting some of the new bells and whistles, I still don't need to replace this machine. So, from my experience Macs do have longevity.

Good luck with your decision, and if you do go Mac I hope that your experience is as positive as mine has been.