Is Apple80211Agent a legitimate process for a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Dec 15, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

When I open Activity Monitor, I see a process called "Apple80211Agent" running.

I hadn't seen that process before, so I just want to be sure, if it's a legitimate and safe process to have running.

Thanks.

2. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm, I wonder if that had anything to do with my internet connection completely dropping in both my MBP and my iPod touch couple of days ago. I kept trying over and over my same password, but it just wouldn't work. I ended up resetting my router and changing network's name and pass. Now it works fine again.

---

I was NEVER asked in any moment about saving my router's password in keychain. That process opened up automatically

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep. That was just the router asking permission to access Keychain for your WPA2 password. "Apple80211Agent" = Apple 802.11 (wireless network) Agent

4. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you please elaborate more on this? I'm not too familiar with keychain. Will this issue happen again? The only way I found of regaining internet access was completely resetting my router and my network's info.

I was NEVER asked in any moment about saving my router's password in keychain. That process opened up automatically

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Allow what? That happened without asking me at all.

If I completely loose my internet connection again, what would you do?
    I really don't want to reset my router over and over if this issue comes up again :confused:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're asked for access to the keychain, allow it. If not, don't worry about the process. It's a legitimate Apple process.

8. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks very much! , I just opened up keychain, and it seems it does indeed have my wireless network's name and password saved. So I just hope it all goes fine from now on. :)

One thing, why did I also loose internet access to my iPod touch? Isn't that separate from my MBP?

9. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Your router probably just had a hiccup. I don't know of many routers these days that are 100% reliable. They have too much stuff going on, and things occasionally happen.

I would take it as just a fluke and not worry about it unless it's reoccurring.