Is applecare for iPhone worth it? (..new iPhone coming?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdventurousJosh, Feb 23, 2009.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    So long story short, I'm sending in my iPhone to apple due to cracks in my 3G casing. I have an opportunity to get a warranty for like $70 or something, extending my coverage a year.
    I decided against it, at first, because I assume apple will be releasing a new iphone soon, and when my one year with at&t arrives, I will try to use my "upgrade eligible" thing to tack on another 2+ years and get the iPhone 2, or whatever.

What do you guys think? Think applecare is worth it, or do you think there is a new Iphone within the next year?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There will be a new iPhone in June.

Get AppleCare if you... Hmm... If you think that it will break on its own after the first year, get AppleCare. Otherwise, don't bother.

3. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

You see, it probably will for some reason. But when I hit my one year mark with AT&T, I will become "upgrade eligible" and in effect will then buy the iPhone 2, and simply tack on the extra years to my phone. I think

4. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I love this guy's confidence.

Every thread with this type question and Tallest is ON IT!

I really mean it man, you keep my hope alive. :D

By God, if Tallest says it's coming in June, it's coming in June! No doubt!

;)

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Hmmm You become upgrade eligible after a year???

Tallest FTW!!! :D

6. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I thought you only became upgrade eligible after 18 months, not a year. But I haven't ever worried about it before, so I could be wrong. It does matter, though.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Especially when a big cheese from the first party in the phone's release said it, too.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm only repeating what Schiller said: the iPhone cycle ends in June, which we knew.

Yearly updates:

Early Spring: iMac
    Late Spring: MacBook family
    June: iPhone
    September: iPod family
    Late Fall: MacBook family

Every 518 days:

Mac Pro

When someone in the hardware engineering department accidently finds a box for one in storage:

Mac Mini

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well you should be good until July 10 as far as needing to pull the trigger on the APP. If you bought later than launch then you have even more to for the iPhone X to arrive maybe this summer.

Dave

10. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Not disagreeing with you in the least bit because I believe we'll see something in June as well pertaining to the iPhone but when that article was all over the internet about Schiller talking about the product cycles, did we ever decide if Schiller said 'June' or if that was what Pogue was assuming he meant?

I know, I know, June 07 = iPhone, June 08 = iPhone3g, June 09 = New iPhone (most likely) :D

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

It varies by account. Some cutomers are able to upgrade every 12 months (think FAN). Here is a link that provides the basic ugrade policy of the average "Joe"".

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/upgrade-advantage.jsp

Dave

12. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Oh and btw, I just looked up when the WWDC '08 show date was announced and it looks like it popped up around March 14th.

I wonder if we'll see the 09 date announced around the same time.