Is AppleCare for MacBook worth getting?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cdhfootball, Oct 9, 2008.

1. cdhfootball macrumors member

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Yes, if something critical fails, it will well exceed the $130 you can get it for on eBay.

3. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

you can get it within the year after purchase if funds are tight. Also if you go into a store and show a student id when you purchase it you save quite a bit of money

4. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

doesnt it automatically come with a 1 year warranty?

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sure it does, but do you replace you computer yearly? If yes you do, then well you don't have to, but since you have the means to get a new computer every year, you might as well to make the next buyer happy; if you don't plan on replacing it every year, well get AppleCare too! :D

7. driphone macrumors regular

The answer is YES, especially if you will keep your laptop post 1st year warranty. Apple Care extends the warranty to 3 and gives you access to the award winning phone support. Two repairs done on my Macbook so far cost over $300.
    just my 2 :apple: cents.

8. timestoby macrumors 6502

i havant lookt,but is it cheaper to get applecare from someplace other than the apple store.i lookt at the price for care for a macbook here in the uk and its 199£ which is crazy.

9. TyloBedo macrumors member

look on ebay or craigslist(if they have craigs list uk)

10. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

If you keep your laptops over two years, then yes.

If you don't keep them longer than two years, it's best to buy with a major credit card (most will effectively double the manufacturer's warranty) and don't worry about AppleCare.

11. marvel2 macrumors 6502

If this is for the upcoming Macbook....For a first generation Apple product, YES.

Otherwise, I have not needed applecare for my macbook or any other macbooks I have owned.

12. driphone macrumors regular

it's like saying I never wear seatbelts and never been hurt, you drive long enough you may just need to buckle up.

13. BigD58 macrumors regular

Yes defiantly get it. My computer battery failed and apple sent me a replacement in 24 hours free of charge!:D

14. jogales macrumors member

You should absolutely get it. My macbook has had $1600 in repairs done to it in the first 3 months, and it needs to go in for a few hundred more when I can be without it for a week. It'll pay for itself easily.

15. Mousy Fulcrum macrumors newbie

$1600? How is that even possible?

16. fedup flyer macrumors regular

I smell BS.

17. driphone macrumors regular

are you working for Apple:D

18. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

The majority of users will never get more out of AppleCare then they pay for it. If they did Apple would stop selling it very quickly. Most extended warranties operate this way and Apple is no different.

19. maddog09 macrumors newbie

dont

Get the macbook from bestbuy and get their warranty, it covers even accidental damage. It has paid for itself 10 times over on my last macbook, they even will give you store credit in the amount you originally paid if you want.

20. specialbuddy macrumors member

I've had 3 thinkpads and an Asus and have had no issues with any of these computers. I was thinking about getting a mac but if I need to get Applecare because somethings going wrong then why do people keep buying these faulty computers. BTW, Asus has a two year warranty and 1 year of accidental coverage. I could dump a can of soda on my computer and it would be covered.

21. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Yes, unless you don't plan on keeping it for more than a year.

22. saintsilver macrumors newbie

buy online or at best buy?

if i were to buy the new macbook online I would definitely buy an applecare but if is buy it at best buy, is it wise to get their warranty instead of applecare? what do you think are the pros & cons in buying online vs stores like best buy?

23. driphone macrumors regular

now let me ask you which one you rather talk to when having a problem with your Mac?

A. Best buy tech. who until yesterday was delivering Pizza and really doesn't care if you brought in an "Apple" or an "Orange"

OR

B- Apple Genius Bar tech. who are well trained and have incentive of helping you to get back up & running?

and let's not forget about #1 phone support which is included with the :apple: Care

this one is very easy.

24. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Ive always purchased AppleCare with my Notebooks....I think its less of a need for the iMac, but definitely should get it for notebooks. Just keep in mind you dont have to purchase it with your mac. You can wait until your 1st year is almost expired. (save yourself some cash upfront for that new mac)

25. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

I have my MBA for more than 7 months and so far I have no problems. I know that it is a Rev A product and some people are having problems with heat and core shutdowns so I guess I got lucky. But rule of thumb is, if you are buying a portable then applecare is necessary. It is not to say that all apple portables become defective, it is just a piece of limited guarantee that within 3 years, if your laptop becomes defective then you can easily get it repaired with no additional cost to you.