Is AppleCare needed for Aluminum MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by celticpride678, May 30, 2009.

1. celticpride678

I have a few more months before my possibility of buying AppleCare is up and I need to know if it is worth the $249. What are your experiences? If I do not buy AppleCare, can I still go to the Genius Bar (I know I will have to pay, but can I??). Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have never gotten applecare

with that said, it only covers manufacturing defects, not accidents

so in that respect, its up to you if you feel your machine has a potential manufacturing flaw or not

3. Surely Guest

Surely

You can still go to the "Genius" Bar if you don't have Applecare. If you go for advice, it is free, but if you need any work done, that would cost $$$.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

For frak's sake, buy it!

Always, always, always buy applecare for any apple product, especially a portable. If something goes wrong with it, they're especially difficult and expensive to repair. If a logicboard dies 13 months after you've bought it, it's almost as expensive to replace it as it is to buy a new computer.

You also get apple phone support for your product for three years, and it will cover many apple peripherals like keyboards and mice.

You can save a bit if you buy it off of ebay, just make sure it's a trusted seller and they send you an unopened box.

If you decide to sell your machine and get a new one, the fact that it's covered under applecare will make it more likely to sell and increase its value.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Conventional wisdom with buying any type of extended warranty on a computer (Apple or otherwise) is to buy it on a laptop but not on a desktop.

Reason: if a part on a desktop goes south, it's easy to replace just that part. Not so with a laptop.

That being said, keep in mind that the Mac Mini and iMac are essentially laptops in how they're assembled - working on one is as complex as working on a laptop.

In a nutshell, I'd recommend AppleCare on any Apple computer except possibly a Mac Pro.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Depends... did you buy your computer with a credit card? If you did, it's possible they offer an extra year of warranty for you.

Also take in account when you plan to replace this machine? Is it in 3 year? Less? If it's 2 years or so, AppleCare may not be worth it as it may already be covered if you bought it on CC.

Now AppleCare would boost resell value (when it is still valid), but it provides you an assurance. Personally I have AppleCare even though I bought mine with a Amex, as I'd rather just deal with Apple.