Is AppleCare needed on new MBP retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bstamant, Nov 3, 2013.

1. bstamant macrumors newbie

I've always bought AppleCare on all of my Macs, yet the ONLY issue I've had with hardware failure was a hard drive crash on a 2007 iMac. With the migration away from optical disc drives and physical hard drives, is AppleCare really needed anymore?

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

the new models are less repairable so if theres a failure with a component that could have been replaced in the past you would likely have to buy a whole new machine these days

so if it was needed for any model then its the current ones

3. Voca, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013

Voca macrumors member

Voca

Follow jondunfords advice!

2012/2013 MBP are the least repairable/upgradeable Apple laptops out there. Everything is soldered to the board.
    Yes, Applecare! Unless you enjoy throwing money away....

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's up to you to decide if it's worth it to you, but there are other components that could be defective, that would cost a lot more than a HDD or optical drive, such as the logic board. While the percentage of defective Macs is very low, it still happens.

5. pat.micunnis, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

pat.micunnis macrumors regular

6. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Sounds tasty and nutritious. It might offer peace of mind, too.

7. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Every newly purchased Mac already comes with a one year warranty. Apple care is an extension of three years after your warranty expires. If you're having second thoughts and money is tight, give it time til you can afford it. You have a year to save $239. :)

As with the question if its worth it? After your one year warranty expires, definitely.

8. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

maybe 11 months to be safe

some apple stores don't let you do it in the last month

9. nathairtras macrumors member

This. You can buy it as long as your 1-year warranty is active. Nothing stopping you from buying it after 11 months. Just don't forget!

10. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Totally worth it but don't buy it until your warranty is close to running out, no point forking out for it straight away when it's not going to really start doing anything for you until the second year.

11. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

but yea stuff is more likely to go wrong in the second 2 years so definitely worth it :D

12. DaRealElvis macrumors member

I had 3 Macbooks prior to the new 13" retina and I NEVER bought Apple Care. I never had any issues!! But this year I will buy Apple Care. :(
    The difference is, I never checked this forum before buying the newest macbook. So many horrible stories here about what could go wrong. I (hope), I will regret the purchase of Apple Care.

13. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

you need to take these stories with a pinch of salt cos theres going to be more people with problems here

its like going to a doctors waiting room and thinking that the whole human race has something wrong with them :p

14. LaravelNick macrumors member

Definitely need AppleCare for the new Macbooks. iFixit gave a repairability score of 1 out of 10. Even the battery is glued in.

If you're in the UK, John Lewis are offering a free three year guarantee as others have mentioned on this forum.

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

In the States, get Applecare from B&H and save a few bucks.

16. Sicutz macrumors member

It´s like playing with fire - but the risk is not that high.

Apple earns money with AppleCare - so the number of broken Macs is low.
    But if your Mac crashes, like broken display or mainboard, you need to pay more then 170 dollar/euro.

17. rMBP2013 macrumors member

It's a TWO year extension after the initial year of warranty.

IMO, it's not worth it as my credit card already doubles the warranty. Is $239 worth for one year? Nope.