is Applecare really worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by guj, May 8, 2012.

1. guj macrumors newbie

the guy at the apple store said it covers both physical and water damage...

2. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

If you drop it and break it, you will be thanking every God that you purchased it. Otherwise you are on your own. For piece of mind, buy it. Especially if you have kids who routinely use your iPad. I did not hesitate.

----------

Oh and there are about 12,654 threads asking the same thing. I'd suggest a search :D

3. xraytech macrumors 68020

Uhm... YEAH!!!

http://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html

Let's say you got the all Bells and Whistels aka 64GB 4G iPad, retail $829, and the next day you accidentally dropped and cracked the screen. Without the AppleCare+ you have to buy an new one at full retail. With AppleCare+ you pay the upfront cost of $99 (assuming you bought AppleCare+ when you purchased your iPad) plus a $49 deductible for a total of $148.

4. Mk4Jetta macrumors newbie

Don't have to buy a new one at full retail. $299 and they give you a refurb. So it's either lose $99 no matter what and possibly pay another $50 if you need it replaces or take your chances and possibly pay $299 if you break it. I chose to take my chances.

5. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Out of warranty repair

No, you would be eligible for an "Out of warranty repair" and get an undistinguishable-from-new refurbished unit for $299. Go to the URL below, choose "warranty and service pricing" on the left, then the "My iPad is not eligible for warranty service" topic.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=ipad

6. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

How much would it cost to repair the damage?

7. xraytech macrumors 68020

Oops!!! Forgot about the "Out of Warranty" bit.

Pay $99 AppleCare+ up front & Possibly Pay $49

Vs

Possibly Pay $299 Out of Warranty

Pick your poison.

----------

Google iresq

8. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Exactly. AppleCare+ is not really as good as it may initially sound.

9. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

The only problems I ever have are defective parts, which is covered by AppleCare. Everything else I can fix myself. I get AppleCare for the first reason so it's worth it to ME. Weigh your options and see if it's something you think you'd need.

10. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

This means AppleCare+ is worth it only if there's at least 50 percent chance that such damage will happen during the time the iPad is covered under AC+. Unless there are other reasons to buy AC+, of course.

11. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Another situation in favor of AppleCare+. If you have the bad luck of 2 accidental damage events (requiring replacement) in the first 2 years, you're only out $197 vs. $598.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I had an iPad 2 on Launch. Didn't bother picking up AppleCare initially, after 11 months the screen was exhibiting ghosting and image retention. Rang Apple and they offered me next day replacement if I bought AppleCare + or I would have to travel to nearest Apple authorised repair centre, drop it off and wait for a replacement to be des patched in due course. Nearest repair centre is a 2.5 hour drive, I'd miss a days work to do so, and incur the petrol cost to go there and the delay to get back. All told it seemed less hassle to pay the €79 and get a new iPad the next day without all the hassles, plus have the extra years coverage after.

So yes there are more than just repair costs to factor in, there is the time and own expense if a repair is needed.

13. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

So like any other form of insurance, it's just a matter of whether or not you want to take your chances. Me personally, I see every iPad as a 1-year device. I'm definitely upgrading next year again, so there's no real need for Applecare+ in my eyes.

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

Its not "Possibly Pay", you will pay that deductible for damage.

----------

BTW....There is that extra year of the warranty....I think that has some value. :cool:

15. Dkorda macrumors 6502

16. ScottW1 macrumors regular

More than just accidental damage coverage

There are at least 3 other reasons, besides "accidental damage coverage":
    1. Extends warranty against manufacturning defects, battery, etc. from 1yr to 2yr
    2. Extends technical support from 90days to 2yr
    3. Gives you access to Express Replacement Service (ERS), so a replacement iPad can be shipped to you before you return your old one to Apple (very helpful if you live far from an Apple store)

I decided the combination of Accidental Damage coverage and ERS was worth the $99 to me. And while I personally am unlikely to ever need the 2yr technical support, that could easily justify the $99 for a lot of people.

Point is, you get more for your $99 than JUST the accidental damage coverage.

17. ucantgetridofme macrumors 6502

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

Add:

4. Makes the iPad more valuable at resale.

And everyone is so confident that the OOW coverage is available to everyone once the original warranty expires but it's clear that Apple has the discretion to allow it. And that doesn't mean they will do it automatically. So there's no assurance that a broken, 13-month-old iPad can be replaced for $299.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601