Is applecare refundable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eyespii, Jul 2, 2008.

1. eyespii macrumors 6502

I recently bought a brand new applecare warranty for my 3 month old MBP, but I haven't activated it yet. If I were to activate it on my computer, and then say next week or even next month I spilled water or dropped the computer, would I be able to get a refund on the applecare?

Otherwise, I might just wait until the last day possible to activate, just in case.

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

If unactivated, you get the full amount minus $25. If you activate and then remove because you ran over your laptop or whatever, you get a pro rated amount. I say; wait it out and activate a few days before your free year expires.

3. eyespii thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply!

So a follow up question - I actually purchased the applecare on eBay. I received the actual box w/ CDs, still shrink-wrapped. How would that affect the cancellation refund? I have a "proof of purchase", but it's unlikely something that apple would accept, am I right?

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I think you're up a creek in that case, because otherwise people would buy bargain applecare on eBay and just return it to Apple for full value, making a profit each time.

5. dcains macrumors regular

I've purchased 3 from various eBay sellers, and Apple doesn't know/care where they came from (just pick a known seller with great feedback). Apple doesn't know you've got it until you activate it - how would they? You can wait until the last day of your regular warranty to activate it if you want to, but if you're so much as a day late, you'll be out of luck.

As far as returning a product to Apple, that you didn't buy from Apple, do you really think that's a possibility? They're going to ask for a receipt, right? Most, if not all, of the sellers on eBay are not authorized Apple resellers, so don't count on anything in terms of a refund from Apple, pro-rated or not.

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

As part of a higher education discounted purchase, my partner got Applecare bundled with her laptop directly from Apple. Does it still need to be activated? We kinda assumed we didn't need to do anything...?

7. eyespii thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.

So it seems like my best course of action would be to wait until the last week possible before activating my applecare. This way, if something goes wrong, I at least have the opportunity to sell the applecare back on eBay.