Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a 15" Retina MacBook Pro from the Education store which comes with 3 years free warranty from Apple. I wanted to know, if I were to sell this MBP and purchase a newer model, would I be able to retain that warranty and transfer it to my new machine?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
No, the Apple Care Protection Plan stays with the computer, not the person owning or not owning it.

Thus even stolen computers have Apple Care sometimes.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
No, the Apple Care Protection Plan stays with the computer, not the person owning or not owning it.

Damn, the 3 years warranty on the Education store is tempting but I'm not sure whether I will keep the MBP for that long. My plan was to sell my original MBP and use the money + a bit extra to upgrade to a newer model should a newer model tempt me in the future and transfer my warranty to the new machine.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated ;)

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Can it not be prorated by Apple and a cheque sent for the balance not used? I know you can do that with regular Applecare. I am not sure about the education warranty, hence my question.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Can it not be prorated by Apple and a cheque sent for the balance not used? I know you can do that with regular Applecare. I am not sure about the education warranty, hence my question.

What would the pro-rated portion of "free" be? I would think that this could get sticky, as the basic AppleCare for laptops is $249. The educational price is $183, and many places are including them for free with the purchase (as the OP has stated). Which price is actually refunded? I would guess that it’s based on the price paid ($249/$183/$0) - as listed on the original sales receipt.

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
And what would the pro-rated portion of "free" be? SMH

This is why I asked. I have never used an education purchase from Apple so I am not sure how the Applecare works with it. I did not know if it was free or discounted. Thanks for info.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hmmm, thanks for the advice guys. I just had a live chat session with Apple and the guy says I'll need to contact AppleCare as he's not sure. But as a general note, he said: "If you are purchasing from the education store, then the warranty is built in, meaning that it is already included into the MacBook Pro price."

I doubt I can get anything out of the remaining days on a pro-rata basis as Apple don't explicitly charge for the warranty service. The 3 year warranty isn't the full AppleCare either it's "half" of AppleCare in the words of the advisor because you don't get technical support with it.

I must sound like a right frugal, skimping person lol. :| :cool:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Not frugal at all. I appreciate the added info. I had no knowledge of how Applecare worked with the education side of things. Now I know. Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not frugal at all. I appreciate the added info. I had no knowledge of how Applecare worked with the education side of things. Now I know. Thanks.
Note that it only applies to the UK Education purchases. The same is not true in the US and elsewhere.

1k9

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2014
Can you post where it shows this? I bought a new 15 and didn't see anything about this.
Thank you

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a 15" Retina MacBook Pro from the Education store which comes with 3 years free warranty from Apple. I wanted to know, if I were to sell this MBP and purchase a newer model, would I be able to retain that warranty and transfer it to my new machine?

Thanks!

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Can you post where it shows this? I bought a new 15 and didn't see anything about this.
Thank you

Sure, it's not easy to find but they give you the information at the configuration stage when you add your Mac to the basket. You need to make sure you're in the Education store though.

On the configuration page, click the "Service and Support" dropdown and you'll see the information on the warranty there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.