Is AppleCare worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jhn, Oct 9, 2011.

1. jhn macrumors newbie

Thinking about getting it for the iphone 4S but and have bought it with every device I've received. Never actually had to use it though and when things have broken AppleCare has never helped.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Depends, how long are you planning on keeping this phone?

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

sounds like you pretty much answered your own question.

4. jhn thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to know how effective it's been for other's though, wondering how stupid it would be not to have it.

Also I would try to have it for at least two years or if I can sell it and buy an unlocked iphone 5 when it comes out.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

The current Applecare+ program for the 4S will replace the phone up to 2 times for breakage with a $49 copay per incident.

6. jhn thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw that, is that a new feature?

7. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I've had success with AppleCare: Apple replaced my iPhone 4 just a few weeks ago, past the 1 year mark, because I was having home button issues. And I'm hopeful that my resale value of the iPhone 4 will be higher because it's still covered.

But come to think of it I'm likely to upgrade to the 5 (or whatever) in Fall 2012. Now that the price is higher I think I'll cancel my AppleCare+ order after all.

8. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    Extended warranties, across everyone, make money for whoever is selling it. On average, you should expect to lose money from every one you buy. Think of these extended warranties as bets against yourself. It can be useful to hedge your bets on large expensive things where you stand to lose a lot of money, but for small things, it's usually not worth it.

I never get AppleCare or any other extended warrant on anything I couldn't afford to replace should it break out of regular warranty. If my device dies outside of the regular warranty and I'd be well and truly screwed, it's better to have the extended warranty, but if it would be no more than an inconvenience and irritation, it's not worth it in the long run over many devices.

9. Itsmorowind macrumors member

I got it because this is the first time i've spent over 100 $$ on a phone. It will help give me some peace of mind knowing that my phone is insured should any accidental damage happen to it.

10. bollweevil macrumors 6502

No, not worth it.

Manufacturers' extended warranties, including AppleCare, are almost never worth it. AppleCare is overpriced and it doesn't cover very much beyond the standard (free) warranty.

If your phone breaks after 13 months, you can (probably) afford to just replace it, and you can get a newer model too.

11. rmcmast macrumors newbie

I've had AppleCare on a 3G, 3GS, and 4. I usually waited until the 1st year was about up and bought it then if I was keeping the phone for a while.

I've had good experiences with it: got a replacement for the 3 when the silent button fell off. Got a replacement for the 3G with battery issues, and most recently my iPhone 4 when it started having home button issues.

-- Rick