Is AppleCare Worth It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pookieinc, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Pookieinc macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I got my MacBook Pro about 8-9 months ago, and I'm starting to think that maybe I should buy the AppleCare, just in case in the next two years, something might happen. But the only issue is that it is a lot of money! Is it worth it? Has it saved any of you in the past?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It got me a new, higher spec Macbook after the first year was up :)

3. 119576 Guest

Yes it's worth it.
    Yes it's saved people.
    It's more money to pay for repairs yourself.

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I cant talk for myself as thankfully haven't used it yet but can definitely talk for my flatmate who has had 5 repairs done to his mac, about to go for his 6th. If he didn't have applecare it would have cost him a fortune, at least with apple care he gets the repairs for free so I would definitely say that it is worth it.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It has saved me so much money, adding it up for my iMac G5 logic board x3 @ £412 a pop + replacement with Core 2 Duo iMac = £2200

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

On my old MBP 2.33 GHz, it was worth it to me. Got my battery, charger, and LCD replaced, so that already covered the initial cost of applecare. Well worth it.

7. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I think it's worthwhile - just don't pay the full Apple price for it. Apple charges $350 for the MBP plan. Amazon has it for $300 and you should be able to find it for close to $200 on eBay. I recommending buying on eBay from a seller with a good feedback rating. (That's what I did and it worked out great.)

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yes for sure,saved someone committing rape on my wallet of a couple of times

9. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You'll kick yourself if you don't get it and then need it. I am now on my third laptop, the first went back three times, the second never. You don't know what is going to happen, but best to be prepared. Best to wait until the nearer the end of your first year I think too, just makes it easier on the budget!

10. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

do you have car insurance? do you have health insurance? applecare is insurance for an investment, if your logic board goes out it's over 1000 usd.
    get applecare or your will be a statistic.

cheers

11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

for a $2000 or more MBP.
    it is definitely worth it

12. Pookieinc thread starter macrumors member

Woah, okay then, I will definitely buy it. I found it for 250! :)

Also, is there any way I can check to see how long I've had my MacBook Pro to make sure it's under a year?

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

I say it is a waste of money and the chance that your machine will fail between year 1 and 3 is very low. For every example of an individual who bought Applecare and needed it, there are probably four examples of people who bought Applecare and didn't need it for a failed machine.

Plus, the car insurance analogy is invalid. Car insurance is for accidental damage, which Applecare does not cover.

14. secretpact macrumors 6502

The thing about applecare is, like aquajet said, is that it doesn't cover accidental damages. I heard if you use your house/renters insurance to cover your MBP it's better because they cover accidental damages.

15. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

good point.
    but, having apple care definitely increases the value of your MBP when you want to sell it.
    any buyer would love to hear, still under warranty.

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

By how much? More than the cost of Applecare to begin with? I have a hard time believing that. ;)

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Imagine your screen goes, thats all I have to say. Its usually at least a $900 repair. What if your CD drive goes? They dont have a standard swappable drive so who knows what thatll cost.

When buying warranties break it down cost per year. 3 years of coverage for $350. Thats about $117 a year, or a little over $10 a month to know that if anything happens to your macbook pro your covered and dont have to plop down several grand should something happen.

18. Pookieinc thread starter macrumors member

Anyone know of a way I can check?

19. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Here

20. skylerdavid macrumors newbie

I got insurance on my macbook pro through my State Farm account.

It covers any problems, especially physical damage such as dropping, etc. Also it covers if it is lost.

25 bucks a year. No deductible.

The only thing it doesnt cover is if it is infested with insects :confused: I think its because it is similar to a homeowner plan...

21. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

22. steinlager macrumors regular

Applecare just ensures that if you ever run into problems, you don't need to be worried because you have Applecare. Peace of mind, exactly.

Unless your computer blows up.:D

23. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

you know IJ, i've given up on telling people to search. Its hopeless.

24. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i think this ( applecare ) should be added in the FAQs.
    but then again, how many bothers to read those:D