Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Hi guys,

I agree 100% that laptop owners should buy Applecare but what about iMac users? I have an (almost) 1 year old iMac 2.4G and was trying to decide whether to buy Applecare or not.
If you agree that laptop owners should get AppleCare, then you should for your iMac as well. Remember, it uses the same hardware as a laptop.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It's not necessarily the notebook parts that may fail, it's the stresses one normally puts on a notebook that may cause it to fail.

I recommend Applecare for laptops because most people don't just set them up on the desk, like an imac. People pack them up, carry them to work, school, wherever they need to go. It's these additional stresses that cause me to recommend AC for anyone with a laptop. I wouldn't necessarily get it for an imac, i just don't see it breaking if it hasn't in a year.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
In the USA - perhaps. But if you're from EU, no way! 320 euros is terribly expensive and nearly one third of the price of a new macbook.

Of course it's nice to have a long warranty, but look at it from another angle - if you pay $1100 for the MacBook, save $250 instead of buying AppleCare and then sell the machine for about $750 in a year, after the warranty expires, you're hundred bucks short of a brand new laptop!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Of course it's nice to have a long warranty, but look at it from another angle - if you pay $1100 for the MacBook, save $250 instead of buying AppleCare and then sell the machine for about $750 in a year, after the warranty expires, you're hundred bucks short of a brand new laptop!

I guess that works too. I couldn't convince the wife to let me buy a new laptop after only 1 year though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.