Is Apple's future closed?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by str1f3, Jan 28, 2010.

1. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I've always thought that touch based computing is the future and people like Gruber seem to agree:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/various_ipad_thoughts

I think the iPhone OS is a revelation in OS & UI design but my main concern is where Apple is headed. I don't like the locked-in App Store model and it directly flies in the face of the openness and rebelliousness that the net was found on. Right now the iPad is not far from being a total replacement for the PC.

If there ever is the day where the Mac approached this model I will have to leave the platform.

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

3. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Much as I think the iPad is a sweet device, I could not disagree more.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

LOL.

There is a reason iPod and iPhone is a success. What the nerds call "closed," most people call superior usability.

5. str1f3 thread starter macrumors 68000

While it may not be the ideal device for something like Final Cut, eventually ARM processors will have the ability to handle apps like Photoshop & Logic. They have already have iPad accessories to import photos/videos so it is clear this is the direction they want to go.

Some may say that the reason why the Mac has had success in Jobs' second era is because the Mac is easy to use.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yes, if Apple could keep everything in-house stability would be fantastic. But it's not worth getting cut off from open source and third party apps Apple doesn't like.

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

It works. And it works brilliantly. It has nothing to do with the "openness and rebelliousness" of the internet. LOL.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

That made me think of this picture.

Attached Files:

9. dead goon macrumors member

Poor bugger couldn't afford an iPhone so now he's rebelling

10. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I might be taking it too seriously, but i don't think that dude realises that there are a lot of free apps on the App store (more if you illegally pirate them), and sharing music and ebooks isn't permitted due to copyright restrictions.

11. MTI macrumors 65816

In some ways, you may want to think of the terms "free and open" in computing in the same way bus station toilets are "free and open." :D

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Lethal

13. str1f3 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't ever recall anyone saying the Mac platform was broken because people did what they want. And yes it has everything to do with "openness and rebelliousness" because the same guy who was on stage yesterday promoting the App Store made the 1984 ad and used to sell blue boxes that took advantage of the same company that he now locks iPhone customers into.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which is due to, come on I know you know this one.....

Oh I'll just say it, Apple doing exactly what they do! It is no accident Apple products are incredibly easy to use, they are built from the ground up to be that way, software and hardware.

15. MTI macrumors 65816

Whoa there metaphor guy . . . or was it an analogy . . .

Apple, since its inception, has been the poster boy corporation for closed systems, not openness.

16. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

You seem to be getting your James Deans mixed up with your HTMLs.

17. str1f3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Actually, no, the Apple I & II series are probably the most hacked computers in history (moreso the II). As for openness on the Mac, sometimes there's a tradition in freedom for protection, but the App Store philosophy has removed any sort of choice.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Your talking about hacking as a rebuttal to "apple being the poster boy for closed systems"? Seriously?

Do you know what these terms mean?:confused:

19. str1f3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Uhhh yes and people like Woz encouraged it along with incredible amount of customizations that the Apple II allowed you to do. Thanks, though, for the childish fanboy attempt.

Or maybe I just got too hooked on those 'Think Different' ads

20. Silvereel macrumors 6502

You know what, this is right. My aunt, as great as she is, is always finding new ways to misuse and screw up her Windows XP computer :rolleyes:
    On the other hand, I immediatly thought of her as I watched the live coverage of the iPad yesterday. From my experience with the iPhone OS, I know there is really no way that it can be messed up without actually trying to.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well seeing as apple has so many people bitching about not doing what was predicted, aren't they Thinking Different? ;)

Remember different != "what I think is best"

22. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

It feels to me that Apple is moving away from the desktop market and more into the mobile market. Apple makes amazing laptops (Ive used my Macbook Pro as my only computer for 2 years now). Though now Im considering buying a desktop and looking at the Apple lineup of desktops they seem pretty lacklustre compared to what you can build. The only thing keeping me from outright building a PC is how much I love OS X which is getting to be a stupid reason. I mightas well use Linux.

Im going to wait for the next set of iMac and Mac Pro revisions and see what their specs are. If Apple doesn't do anything about the graphics cards in the iMacs then Im just going to build a linux run PC. Its sad though. I really like Apples design and software.

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

No, you're missing his point. Software libre is his message. Apple doesn't deliver that.

24. str1f3 thread starter macrumors 68000

We all love Apples' designs and understanding of what is art in hardware and software.

As to the point of this post, remember this:

Think Different

Here’s to the crazy ones.
    The misfits.
    The rebels.
    The troublemakers.
    The round pegs in the square holes.
    The ones who see things differently.
    They’re not fond of rules.
    And they have no respect for the status quo.
    You can praise them, disagree with them,
    quote them, disbelieve them,
    glorify or vilify them.
    About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them.
    Because they change things.

— Think Different – Go out and change something today.

-----------------

This is the Apple I've known and loved since I first used an Apple IIe in 2nd grade in 1984.

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

that apple was dead two years ago.

I disagree in one point, that apple ipad will never replace a pc (no matter what SJ want to define pc is, pc is a personal computer, osx or windows).

I do agree that apple is closed, already. and I am leaving the platform already, once my MB running out of juice, I will be apple free.