Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geepondy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
I have an Apple Ipad Pro 10.5 that saw substantial use during the first year of the pandemic and battery life is very noticeably waning. I heard about Apple's $99 Ipad replacement program for Ipads with subpar batteries so early in the summer I went to the Apple store where they said battery was still 88 percent which I found extremely hard to believe. A couple of weeks ago, I called tech support where they did another battery check and still said it was still sufficient although he wouldn't give me a number. Then I found out about Imazing and downloaded the program. 570 charge cycles and battery health of 73%. To check the accuracy of the program I hooked up my iphone 11 of which Apple Health says battery is 79 percent. Imazing said it was 78% so it seems to be pretty accurate.

Is it possible Apple has a much more stringent battery test for the Ipad as I'm sure they don't like replacing them? I wish they had a Ipad IOS Battery Health check like they do for the iphone and watch.

Digitalguy

macrumors 68040
Apr 15, 2019
Yes, they don't make much money if at all on battery service, so their 80% is more like 60% on imazing unfortunately... 10.5 pro goes vintage in Spring / Summer 2024 (after which no more battery service), I do hope my battery goes below their threashold by then because it's already bad (363 cycles and 82.5% according to imazing)

geepondy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
I really feel scorned. I have replaced my IPADs in the past due to speed issues but the 10.5 Pro is still fast enough for me, yet it still has planned obsolescence because of the battery even if one is still happy with the performance. I wish there was a law requiring them to make the product with a serviceable battery replacement.

Reactions: sunking101

floral

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
This is such a ripoff. Show them the iMazing results in person and ask politely for a replacement.

floral

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I really feel scorned. I have replaced my IPADs in the past due to speed issues but the 10.5 Pro is still fast enough for me, yet it still has planned obsolescence because of the battery even if one is still happy with the performance. I wish there was a law requiring them to make the product with a serviceable battery replacement.
You may like what the EU is doing... Apple may be forced to make their phones readily replaceable like old Samsungs. Not sure about tablets though...

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
This is such a ripoff. Show them the iMazing results in person and ask politely for a replacement.
Like it or not, Apple uses there own diagnostic equipment and software. They won't entertain results from a 3rd party app for diagnosing issues..

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
Don't have iMazing *yet* but it seems like a solid addition plus I do have refurb'd 1st gen 11" iPP, thoughts on iMazing plz?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
iMazing, like Coconutbattery shows the real time battery health. Battery health fluctuates thousands of times a day depending on what the battery is doing at that given time (charging, heavy load, temperature, etc.). Apple's diagnostics takes a two-week average to determine the battery health. iMazing is great for a quick snapshot but does not show the full picture of the battery. I've had my battery health fluctuate between 80% and 90% in the same hour.

Reactions: Agile55

contacos

macrumors 68030
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Apple seems to cheat those battery stats in general. I have applecare+ on my Apple Watch Series 6, iPad Air 4 and iPhone 12 Pro Max and the battery stats have been stuck at 82% for months. How convenient for them

Marshall73

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2015
Apple seems to cheat those battery stats in general. I have applecare+ on my Apple Watch Series 6, iPad Air 4 and iPhone 12 Pro Max and the battery stats have been stuck at 82% for months. How convenient for them
Drop it and break it then get a replacement 🤣

geepondy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
I may give up the ghost and buy a new Ipad in the Spring. Considering Air as they seem to go on sale more than the 11" pros but wondering how much I will miss 120hz pro motion. And also to a lesser degree poorer sound. If Ipad Pro had AMOLED then it would be a Pro for sure or maybe even if the 11 had the mini-LED tech that the 13.7 has. I kind of scratch my head wondering why the mini LED is also not ported to the Pro11 as well.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I may give up the ghost and buy a new Ipad in the Spring. Considering Air as they seem to go on sale more than the 11" pros but wondering how much I will miss 120hz pro motion. And also to a lesser degree poorer sound. If Ipad Pro had AMOLED then it would be a Pro for sure or maybe even if the 11 had the mini-LED tech that the 13.7 has. I kind of scratch my head wondering why the mini LED is also not ported to the Pro11 as well.

The discounts tend to depend more on the age and upcoming releases.

When the Air 5 was just released, the 128GB M1 iPad Pro 11 was pretty much always on sale for $699-749 (same price or less than 256GB Air 5).

Lowest price I've seen on the 128GB M1 Pro 11 was $549 (Target) during the holiday/post-holiday sales. I'd say it's well worth the extra $50 over the 64GB Air 5.

Personally, 64GB is just way too cramped for my liking while the 256GB Air 5 and 128GB Pro 11 are very close in price (barring limited time clearance deals like the Target one) so for me, Air 5 isn't quite a slam dunk. Although one thing I really do like about the Air 5 are the colors.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.