Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I recently picked up a black Apple leather case for my iPhone 6, and while I really like the fit, the feel, and the slim profile, there's a big problem with this case.

It keeps forming these 'blisters'. Spots on the surface raise up in these 'bubbles' that just don't look very good. I noticed that this happens if I lay the phone down on any moisture. I don't mean that I'm getting it really wet or anything, rather, if I have a glass on the table and then I put the case down where the glass had been sitting, the little bit of condensation from the glass seems to get absorbed into the leather and form these permanent 'blisters'.

I don't know if the leather is expanding or if the outer layer is separating from the inner, but either way, this is unacceptable. The Apple leather case for my 5S never did anything like this. I've had the case for only 5 days, and it already looks like this and is getting worse:

qxaPEC3.jpg

So my question is, did I get a faulty case or are all of them defective like this? Should I simply try to exchange it for another one, or should I swap it for the Apple silicone case?

I wonder if that's water, or oil soaking into the leather. I'm sure by now the issue has been addressed. I had the (RED) on my 6+ and then got an OtterBox, but I'll look for it and see if it's gotten funky. I used it a lot for the time before I got the OB. Really loved it, and thought at one point of swapping back to it, but then dropped it, and it survived so I considered that a warning...

It looks like a skin disease. :eek:o_O
[doublepost=1452881991][/doublepost]
Update:

I've been using the replacement case they gave me, and after a few weeks, it's starting to blister, as well.

The iPhone 6 leather case is nowhere near as high quality as the 5/5S leather case was. It's a real shame because I like everything else about the case. I like how it's slim, I like how it offers a lip on the front, I like how it fits, and I like how the bottom is open and allow me to plug in any pair of headphones.

It's a shame that Apple used such crappy leather this time around.

One way to test that hypothesis is to take two wood blocks and a vise, or a glue clamp, and clamp the case between the wood blocks for a while and see if the problem goes away, and then if it comes back, and how long until it does.

I bought the leather for the same reasons I'm sure that you did. It 'feels better'.

MizMacFrog

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
I recently picked up a black Apple leather case for my iPhone 6, and while I really like the fit, the feel, and the slim profile, there's a big problem with this case.

It keeps forming these 'blisters'. Spots on the surface raise up in these 'bubbles' that just don't look very good. I noticed that this happens if I lay the phone down on any moisture. I don't mean that I'm getting it really wet or anything, rather, if I have a glass on the table and then I put the case down where the glass had been sitting, the little bit of condensation from the glass seems to get absorbed into the leather and form these permanent 'blisters'.

I don't know if the leather is expanding or if the outer layer is separating from the inner, but either way, this is unacceptable. The Apple leather case for my 5S never did anything like this. I've had the case for only 5 days, and it already looks like this and is getting worse:

qxaPEC3.jpg

So my question is, did I get a faulty case or are all of them defective like this? Should I simply try to exchange it for another one, or should I swap it for the Apple silicone case?

qxaPEC3.jpg

I don't think you got a faulty case, I think you got a faulty phone. My son had this unusual or even amazing experience this week. He bought new iPhone. Went home, did some configuring, then put the new phone on his night stand. Same place he always put his old iPhone with no problems. The night stand has a small humidifier on it. Overnight, the new iPhone seemed to just suck the water out of the humidifier, almost like magic he said. The humidifier was not turned on, he did not use it that night. There were no leaks in the humidifier. But his phone was soaked to the point that he could fling water out of it. I read online of similar problems, one person said that their phone actually absorbed their sweat when they were in the gym working out. Anyhow, Apple was very nice about it and are replacing his phone.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

qxaPEC3.jpg

You didn't get a faulty case. That's user error. ALL of Apple's leather products do that when contact with water is made, as well as many other leather products. I accidentally dropped one drop of water on my ipad case, and it did the same. Although it went away after it dried out.

It just looks like you were careless about where you put your case.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Return your case for a replacement. Then spray the new case with some water/stain protectant and you should be good to go.

The aniline leather of the iPhone cases is not very forgiving when exposed to water or any liquid.
[doublepost=1455969895][/doublepost]
I have leather cases from Apple for many devices (IPads, IPhones). Never had any problems with them. Good fit good leather and look. Months ago I bought IPhone 6s and realize to buy same Apple leather case. I returned first 2 (scratches and bubbles) came to apple and was opening and returning 10 cases (black, orange) and none of them was perfect. So I tried 12 cases. I gave up and bought silicone case. I do not know what happened with apple leather cases but it's complete garbage today, never buy it again...
[doublepost=1452865321][/doublepost]and it's not cheap at all...considering today's bvery bad chines quality it should cast $5 - $10...

I did the same for my iPhone 6 Plus - opened many boxes in the store before I found one decent enough to purchase. Then I found the case and leather very fragile. I ended up selling it for half price and moved on to a case I didn't have to worry about.

I have the rose gold phone now so went for a super slim clear case. Took me a few tries to get a case I really liked but and totally satisfied now.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
well that looks like there are also other layers which dont tolerate moisture (a bad choice from the manufacturer). i hope current cases last better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.