Is Apple's own choice 128GB SSD for MBP OK?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iWantMac, Mar 3, 2010.

1. iWantMac macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thinking between MB and MBP.

If I wanted to add the 128GB SSD in configurator, would that be a mistake or not? There's a lot of discussion about SSDs here, but I am confused. I want the OS to run as fast as possible, with the least heat, vibration and weight. I think SSD is the way to go. But I don't want to order it separately and install myself.

Is the Apple-offered SSD 128Gb for current MBP an OK drive?

Thanks!

2. ssd macrumors newbie

ssd

It is OK but you're better off with Intel X25-M or OCZ Vertex drive purchased separately. I have MBA with 128GB SSD option and two MBP (13.3" with Samsung SLC 64GB and 15.4" with Intel X25-M). Intel feels the fastest, MBA feels slowest of them three drives.

3. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

i honestly wouldn't bother. You'll be paying a similar price for one of the lower performing SSD's on the market. If you're going to shell out that kind of cash, you might and well get the most bang for your buck.

4. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

What matters the most is how comfortable you are with tinkering with your brand new laptop !

So I would recommend you get the Apple installed one so that you get the benefits of SSD without worrying about installation. It's definitively a trade off to a faster SSD but you'll have peace of mind and an all inclusive warranty which is very nice.

5. iWantMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all,

My second option is to get the MB whitebook with just 4GB of ram and std HDD.

Would you say that I can see a big difference with the SSD (on MBP obviously, but let's leave the other stuff out) vs. the std 5400rpm MB 250GB hdd ?

Thanks!

6. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

installing a new SDD/HD is about as difficult as unboxing your MBP.

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

Installing a new hard drive is such a trivial task that having Apple install it isn't worth it. Just get an Intel drive.

8. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Some people feel the same way about solving non linear differential equations. Doesn't mean everyone else has such an easy time.

All joking aside, it may be easy but there are people just not up to it, do you self upgrade everything you buy ? I bet you could get your car with ugly rims and self upgrade to nicer ones and for less money, but that may be more hassle than you are up to.

9. cloudcity macrumors newbie

cloudcity

Get an Intel G2, replace your optical drive with the SATA HD, and pray that Apple supports Trim soon.

10. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Like I said, if you want to install yourself and are willing to pay the hefty premium for reduced space, the benefits are amazing.
    Or if money is no issue, get a 250 GB SSD !!!
    It may depend on you if the benefits are worth it.

11. Exinor macrumors member

How does that intel one compare to the pre-installed one? And I mean this in terms of performance, space, AND battery.

12. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

Well with my background in mathematics and econometrics, I'd agree with you again...but still, not a fair analogy. There is a one page instruction form apple how to swap HD's, it's as simple as taking out a few screws, pulling out the old HD, plugging in the new HD which fits only one way, putting back said screws, and inserting the OS disk that came with the laptop.

Hardly rocket science, and I'd say if you have the wherewithal to operate a computer in the first place, you certainly qualify to the mental capacity to follow those simple instructions. Multiple variable functions might be a slight step ahead.

13. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

Intel currently has 40GB, 80GB, and 160GB variants. Performance wise, the 40GB isn't on the same tier as the 80 & 160, but all are significantly ahead of the samsung controlled SSD Apple offer BTO. Battery wise, if there is a difference, it would be minute in either direction.

14. iWantMac thread starter macrumors newbie

I have actually built my own PC setups for 20 years. And have MSc in engineering, so this is not a problem for me :).

I am just being lazy, that is all. I wanted a ready to use solution out of the box.

edit: how about if I just get the regular MB with std hdd, and then buy the SSD later and install it myself.

15. sharkzfanz macrumors regular

Hey everyone what about the C300 from Crucial?

16. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

I love the specs and the company, but Anand's (of www.anandtech.com) died after a short period of time. With the newness of the controller I'm just gun shy and would wait until they're proven. Not to mention that you're losing a lot of the benefit not using a SATA 3 connection (which no Mac has currently).

link about the C300 dying:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3755&p=5

17. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I asked about this sometime back because I too was very apprehensive.

Otherworldcomputing has a video guide that makes replacing a standard HDD with a far faster and better SSD a breeze. There's no rush on you getting an SSD. I say wait until the price drops a bit on the Intel 160 GB model.

While Samsung makes some decent items, I had a camera from them that was terrible. So when I wad told that they made Apple's SSDs, I said "I'll pass."

18. Brianmj macrumors newbie

This article specifically says you should not upgrade to one of the SSDs Apple is supplying if you have a choice of buying your own

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=19

Granted this was in August of 09. If you have the opportunity, it would behoove you to buy and install your own SSD.

19. iWantMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for this valuable information.

I am just itching to get a new 13" macbook/macbook pro that I am constantly trying to find an excuse to do so lol.

I guess with AppleMayhem's latest info on the other thread I should just really wait it out until the new Pros are out, and then invest on that model as much as possible, and then get the SSD later.

But both current MacBooks look still so sweet... :apple:. My F-S crappy PC is running hot as hell, is loud as ever and drives me crazy.

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It is literally getting a Phillips OO screwdriver, taking 10 screws out, pull cover to release the two metal clips on the back plate, antistatic, bit of hoovering, then memory in/out HD in/out, cover replace push clips back in.