is AppleTV winning back the streaming wars?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by StoneJack, Mar 20, 2016.

1. StoneJack macrumors 6502a

StoneJack

Data published by Adobe show that in recent months reinvigorated AppleTV is becoming a leading TV streaming device. Shares of Amazon, Xbox, and Sony are miniscule. The only viable competitor is Roku, but AppleTV is gaining back market share rapidly.

As a buyer of new AppleTV4 (and older AppleTV 3), I am more than satisfied by the device. New remote is intuitive, selection of shows is increasing and movies which we rent, look fabulous. There are now games even quite well looking racing games you can play on the new AppleTV
    [​IMG]

2. [AUT] Thomas macrumors member

Maybe. Time will tell. The app-support -which it relies on- is still not that great and Siri not available in e.g. my region. At least we got BT-Keyboard support now. But imho it's still not a finished product (software-wise).

3. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

Or another way to look at your graph is that Apple TV's market share has dropped...

4. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

You're holding the graph upside down :p

5. tanfan macrumors regular

All Apple products sell well out of the gate because of an almost cult like following (great to be Apple) but until they can get some more providers like Vudu and Amazon video (both on Roku among many other choices not on Apple TV) so until they catch up on content.....

6. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

IMO, as 4K becomes more available, the lack of any 4K support on the ATV4 is a big negative. Now that I've gotten a 4K TV I only use my ATV4 to rent movies and get to my iTunes library.

Instead I use the FireTV I have because it has 4K support for Amazon (of course) and Netflix. But even the FireTV doesn't support or have apps that do 4K from YouTube or UltraFlix.

7. cynics macrumors G3

That graph starts before the AppleTV 4 was released so its highest point was on a 4 year old device.

Also how are you overlooking the juggernaut known as iTunes when comparing to Vudu and Amazon Video and saying "until they catch up on content"? Granted it might not be your preferred method of content consumption (its not mine) however given the option of Amazon and Vudu OR iTunes, I'll take iTunes.

8. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

From a hardware point of view - maybe, maybe not. But most of the streaming services are software apps you can just download onto pretty much anything thee days. My TV is NOW the prime device for streamed media and ATV is only used for the internal BR library.

9. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Great to have choice -- I prefer how the ATV4 has an ad-free homescreen. The Roku has that big square advertisement panel on the right and the FireTV's homescreen is one giant ad for Prime. The ATV4's homescreen is understated, functional, and turns into a big aerial screensaver when not in use. If the TV were tucked away in a family room, it wouldn't matter as much, but ours is in the main room above the fireplace. Now that we've had it for a while, that wall seems bare if the TV is off, the screensaver has come to serve as a great hanging picture :)

10. tanfan macrumors regular

If you have a large itunes library there there isn't any choice, you have to have an Apple device but, if you don't, there are many options now days and I can attest, Vudu and Amazon work great imo.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I just bought a Roku 1 on sale refurbished for $30 - blows away AppleTV when streaming on my slow DSL line as well as many, many more channels to choose from. Not to mention being able to hook up to older TV's.

AppleTV has the ability to play Apple content and apps of course, but that's $150...

12. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

No, i'm not.

13. StoneJack thread starter macrumors 6502a

StoneJack

About channels: I don't find much difference in channels.
    Can Roku play games, mirror iPad/iPhones, show iPhoto libraries?

14. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

But who really wants a streaming device to play games?
    I'll buy a console or just use an iPad for that.

In terms of channels/content the ATV is lacking behind the others
    Can the ATV mirror android or MS phones? not really a fair comparison...

15. tanfan macrumors regular

If your don't see a difference in (movie/tv sales/rental) channels you are not looking very hard, and no, if what you want has an "i" in front of it, well that will be locked down to only Apple products.

16. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

"Apple TV has dropped 8% since August 2015. Roku gained 4% share in the same period. According to Lloyd, 4K TV support can be competitive differentiator."

Your graph shows Apple has lost market share. Not sure this is "reinvigorated".

17. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Yeah, 4K can certainly be a differentiator even though there is still a fairly limited amount of 4K video no matter where you look. UltraFlix is probably one of the bigger providers of PPV 4K with varying levels of 4K support.

For those now buying a new big screen it really isn't much of a premium to go to 4K, but it isn't insignificant either.

720/1080 up scaled on a 4K TV that does a good job of up scaling is really great, but true 4K source is better, even in streaming. Downside of streaming 4K is 'net bandwidth and data caps. Most say 25Mbps minimum download speed though there is some that don't require that much. But as more and more ISPs are implementing data caps, and the 4K videos are much bigger, that is an issue that has to be considered.

I'm on 100/10 with a 1Tb data cap with a $10/50Gb bump if I go over. I only got that speed to get the higher data cap as the next lower speed had a 350Gb data cap and I was exceeding that by 100Gb every month. The bump up in speed only cost $10 more on a 'special deal' for a year. Retail for it is $80/month, I'm paying $60 now.

18. StoneJack thread starter macrumors 6502a

StoneJack

Its Adobe's graph, not mine
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2016 ---
    OK, so it can't. Got it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2016 ---
    Yes, I found almost no differences in channels, I looked at Roku website. Perhaps if there are significant differences, would you point at them?

19. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

Obviously.

"Data published by Adobe show that in recent months reinvigorated AppleTV is becoming a leading TV streaming device."

No it doesn't. The graph shows it's lost marketshare.

20. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

Plex gives you a choice for large iTunes Libraries.

21. StoneJack thread starter macrumors 6502a

StoneJack

Yes, it does. It shows that AppleTV is gaining marketshare in recent months. You obviously look at it upside down :)

22. tanfan macrumors regular

Not going to take the time to figure them all out but 2 big ones are Amazon video and Vudu. With most discs coming with a UV code now, people have built up UV libraries (1400+ for me) that can't be accessed thru the Apple TV. Vudu is the best way to access these.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    I might learn something here. So is it possible to access itunes thru Roku using this plex channel?

23. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

Follow this link:
    https://plex.tv/roku
    How it works. Plex server, free, on your iTunes computer, Plex app, free, on your Ruku, stream all your iTunes to the Ruku. Most agree Plex works as well or better then Apple AirPlay.

24. tanfan macrumors regular

Thanks! So I could get EVERyTHING with a Roku. Does it work the other way, to get my UV library thru my Apple TV using plex/Vudu?

25. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

Not tried what you are asking. Maybe someone else has. Plex has a good number of features to access other media databases on NAS etc. Plex not the answer for everyone but offers solutions that many think are very acceptable.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    Not tried what you are asking. Maybe someone else has. Plex has a good number of features to access other media databases on NAS etc. Plex not the answer for everyone but offers solutions that many think are very acceptable.