Is ARC-1880ixl-8 bootable in 10.6?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xper, Aug 25, 2010.

1. xper macrumors 6502

xper

I want to put a Raid5 setup into the current Mac Pro and i am looking at what Areca offers and ARC-1880ixl-8 would fit perfect and it does support 10.6 but i cant seem to find any info on if it is bootable or not.

So anyone use any Areca product with this generation or last generation of Mac Pros with the OS on the array?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use the Areca ARC-1212. If I had to buy it again, I'd get the ARC-1222 which offers 8 ports instead of 4. Just to be clear, you would also need the backplane kit from MaxUpgrades.

Mine didn't come with bootable firmware, but a call to Areca support got me up and running with the right firmware.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, it will boot into EFI (after you flash it of course). :)

I've used Areca for a good while. Currently, I have both an ARC-1231ML and ARC-1680ix12, and am very happy with their performance. Even the support is decent (not as easy to understand their English as ATTO, but they know what they're doing, unlike other companies that don't actually manufacture their own products, such as Highpoint or CalDigit).

The actual EFI firmware should be on the disk that comes in the box. If not, they'll give you a link if you can't find it on the Support site (it's been there in the past, but fairly difficult to find compared to the BIOS version).

4. xper thread starter macrumors 6502

xper

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

It should (no changes made to the optical bay carrier AFAIK; can't think of any reason why they'd have needed to with this revision).

BTW, what exactly are you planning on doing with all of the SSD's?