Is Arrandale worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Jun 29, 2009.

  1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2008
    #1
    I didn't see these new MBPs as a significant upgrade, kind of like the 3GS. Will it just be faster, is that all? What type of advantage do you get if you have an integrated GPU with the CPU? I'm debating whether to buy a MBP with Snow Leopard in September or wait the 5 months and get a faster MBP.
     
  2. 7even macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    #2
    As with every bit of technology, it all changes quickly. If you can afford to wait, then wait.. but then there'll be rumors of further upgrades down the line. If you need it, buy it. If not, then wait, but keep in mind the possibility that you'll be disappointed in some way with the upgrades/changes.
     
  3. sullyy34 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2008
    #3
    dont count on it

    I would not count on Arrendale coming to the Macbook Pro line anytime soon. :(
     
  4. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2008
    #4
    I read someone's post here that made me decide almost instantly. He said if you're not going to be using a lot of applications that need the power, then don't buy it. All I'm gonna do is internet, typing notes, iTunes, iPhoto, almost no gaming, I don't need some powerful processor, I'm getting a MacBook Pro soon, only I'd like it now but I'd rather get Snow Leopard built into the system in September.
     
  5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

    Heb1228

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2004
    Location:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    #5
    I don't think so, that's why I just bought a MBP. Don't quote me on it, but I read on some site the Arrandale chips may opt for lower clock speeds with more cores (quad core), which is not really beneficial speed-wise in a lot of applications. They probably will consume less power than the current line.
     
  6. SpyderFCS macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    #6
    I'm thinking about getting a new MBP from my 2.33GHz late 2006 MBP and almost everyone instantly says to wait for the Arrandale chips.

    I'm pretty happy with my current MBP but my thinking is that I could upgrade and if the new chips came out in say October then I would just sell whatever I buy and upgrade again since Macs hold their resale value.

    Is there even any solid info that the new Arrandale chips will be out this year?
     
  7. maratus macrumors 6502a

    maratus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    February 2010 is deadline.
     
  8. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2008
    Location:
    Warsaw, Poland
    #8
    IIRC it'll be Q1 2010 (initially planned for Q4 2009 though).
     
  9. byamabe macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2003
    #9
    It Depends :)

    I think it depends on how often you upgrade your system. I can only afford to upgrade every 4-5 years (still on my PowerBook G4) so I'm waiting for Arrandale. It's a new architecture with 2 cores and 2 threads per core which should last me 4-5 years which theoretically brings me to the die-shrink of the chip after "Sandy Bridge." (See Intel Tick-TocK strategy) If my upgrade cycle were 2-3 years, I'd be all over the new MBP.

    Sorry to quote you ;-), but this isn't happening. You may be thinking of Clarksfield which has more cores at slower speeds, but Arrandale is slated for 2 cores (4 threads) and clock speeds inline with current chips.
     
  10. awesomedeluxe macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    #10
    Well the nice thing about Arrandale is that it's an architecture change (Nehalem) and a die shrink (32nm). It's a solid upgrade but it's not going to be blowing your mind compared to the current Penryns. Personally, I am waiting for it since my computer still works (decently) and I'll re-evaluate how satisfied with my current setup I am when it comes out. If you're really unhappy with your computer, go ahead and buy, otherwise I'd say it's probably worth waiting for.

    Look for the "unofficial I'm waiting for Arrandale" thread if you want a ton of info about the processor and speculation as to how it'll be used. Consensus is that it's very likely to show up in February macbook pros.
     
  11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #11
    It's actually Westmere, and the bump might not be as small as you think.
     
  12. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #12
    I'll upgrade when benchmark scores for a new Apple laptop are double of the one I already own and then whether I need to actually upgrade.:D
     
  13. awesomedeluxe macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    #13
    Sorry, it is called Westmere like Tallest Skil said. I was thinking of it in terms of a Nehalem derivative since I was mentioning the die shrink separately.
     

Share This Page