Is Articles worth the 5 bucks?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by d00by, Apr 17, 2011.

1. d00by macrumors member

I use wikipanion as my Wikipedia app.

I have heard a lot about articles. Is this app worth spending 5 bucks on or will my free wikipanion app do just fine?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No. Not worth the money.

3. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I got it for $1.. Awesome but since I dont use Wiki that much, $5 would had been too much.
    It's really good though

4. JulianL macrumors 65816

I got it for $1 as well. It is what I use for my Wikipedia access because I really like the UI and the way it looks but it is slow. In terms of UI responsiveness it's by far the slowest app on my iPad. I think the author might have used some sort of higher level app development framework rather than native Objective-C and it shows.

I'd say it's worth $1 to see if you like it and can live with the sluggish UI but not $5. If they could just speed it up a bit then I would be a lot more positive.

- Julian

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

Although the app does feel unresponsive here and there, I wouldn't call it that slow. It could use more caching and some UI tuning though. While it does look sleek at first, some of the flashiness gets in the ways of usability.

At any rate, $4.99 is a rip off for what it is, especially since the app isn't universal.

6. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

From the perspective of someone who likes to find their information quickly and store it offline (including images), Wikipanion+ hit the spot for me.

7. JulianL macrumors 65816

In fairness, and on further reflection, it is only one area where I find it painfully slow and that is when accessing the functionality to switch between multiple open Wikipedia articles. Unfortunately I use this feature quite a lot, for me it's one of the benefits of having a separate reader so that I can maintain a separate Wikipedia workspace (i.e. set of open articles) without using up extra tabs in my browser session.

I like the UI and the desktop metaphor that they've used for switching between open articles but this is the area where I find it horribly slow. For loading and navigating around a single article then I don't really have any complaints.

- Julian