Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Excerpt:

"AT&T has been at the forefront of learning how wireless carriers deal with heavy data usage," Golvin said. "They are really the pioneers. And if any other carrier had the kinds of traffic loads that AT&T has had to deal with as a result of the iPhone, then they would have the same problems. And for anyone to claim any different is crap."

source
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/06/17/cnet.att.iphone.4.apple/

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Excerpt:

"AT&T has been at the forefront of learning how wireless carriers deal with heavy data usage," Golvin said. "They are really the pioneers. And if any other carrier had the kinds of traffic loads that AT&T has had to deal with as a result of the iPhone, then they would have the same problems. And for anyone to claim any different is crap."

source

This is true. Once it hits Verizon I'm sure Verizon may have some issues as well. May not be to the extent of AT&T, but issues are going to happen though. Just my food for thought.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
He's basically repeating what Jobs himself has said. That's why I still don't buy the Verizon iPhone rumors. Jobs has specifically said that AT&T has done a great job. He has also said he sees no need to create a phone running on a different radio technology.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
This is true. Once it hits Verizon I'm sure Verizon may have some issues as well. May not be to the extent of AT&T, but issues are going to happen though. Just my food for thought.

Yeah that's the biggest reason why the iPhone shouldn't be locked to AT&T. If it could be spread out over the 4 major US carriers then they could all carry some of the weight and our lives would all be much better :D

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Excerpt:

source

Yes, AT&T has been always ready. I mean they are ready to fail just like they did with MMS delivery dates, drop calls, and tethering. Once again, they will raise the bar.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Oh, AT&T is ready all right, ready to take all the money they will gain from data overages and all the contract extensions. AT&T couldn't care less about the actual customer experience.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Yeah that's the biggest reason why the iPhone shouldn't be locked to AT&T. If it could be spread out over the 4 major US carriers then they could all carry some of the weight and our lives would all be much better :D

now that i can agree with....not that verizon would do any better job... but if they spread the wealth is would ease the congestion on at$t.... or all the carriers would have the same issues!!

iadam09

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
My family and I have had AT&T Wireless/Cingular for over 10 years and not once have we had an issue. We've had their landline+internet for 15+ years (back when they were called bellsouth).

The only reason they're going through all this is due to the high amounts of iPhone users. If t-mobile would get this many users they wouldn't get much reliable coverage. As for Verizon we don't know what they will be capable of until it happens.

Customer Support has always helped me and if they cannot do something they credit my account.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
To the issue of iPhones & dropped calls, the popular myth is it's AT&T's fault. However I have not found that to be the case. Apples main focus was on everything but the phone module used in the first three generations.

I know, I've have two lines on AT&T for the last five years. When I use my 3G BlackBerry Bold for calls, voice qualty is excellent & there are no dropped calls. I also have excellent call quality with my Blackjack. Those are but two example of other brands of 3G handsets that work very well & don't experience dropped calls. Then we have Apples promoting the "improved antenna" on the iPhone 4.

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
600,000 iPhones 4 ordered in one day, not all 600,000 of those were existing customers...

Plus we have more and more 3g iPads signing on each day.

and with the new $15 data plan's lots of people with dumb phones, might get a smart phone. I know they can only use 200mb, but that added load regardless. iphone or no iphone, I know several friends who want a "semi smart phone" with web access now, because its cheaper.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
To the issue of iPhones & dropped calls, the popular myth is it's AT&T's fault. However I have not found that to be the case. Apples main focus was on everything but the phone module used in the first three generations.

I know, I've have two lines on AT&T for the last five years. When I use my 3G BlackBerry Bold for calls, voice qualty is excellent & there are no dropped calls. I also have excellent call quality with my Blackjack. Those are but two example of other brands of 3G handsets that work very well & don't experience dropped calls. Then we have Apples promoting the "improved antenna" on the iPhone 4.

What about international iPhone? Do they have the same problems as AT&T? That would tell if it was really the iphone's fault

And AT&T will be able to improve their network now with all the dough their raking in off the data plans now. I forget who made the thread, but he made valid arguments about the case against unlimited data. Since AT&T will be making more money, they'll be able to invest it in their network infrastructure. Before, they were only making money if people stayed below the cost of the data. Does AT&T make a profit off people jailbreaking/tethering and using 10 gigs of data and still paying $30? Or do they only make a profit if people stay below however much it costs to supply that data? I'm 100% for att.'s new tiered plans. It'll only improve their network.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Verizon already handles more data than AT&T does. People keep forgetting about data cards and Mifi devices, as those are the real data hogs. I've been to countless conferences and meetings all over the US and I honestly don't believe I've ever seen a single person using an AT&T data card.

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Im not a big ATT fanboy but I do find it funny when considering bandwidth use versus Verizon, no one ever mentions that you can data and talk at same time with ATT, so stands to reason that Verizon since they limit that, have a bit easier time.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
with the amount of money they've made solely on the iPhone (I cam from verizon because of the iPhone) you would think they would be able to =/

I have no complaints though, because a majority of the problem is with the iPhone and not the network....hopefully iPhone 4 will fix that.

cowsrus

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
If Verizon was just a GSM carrier the iPhone wouldnt have been locked to AT&T for so long.

Why America has non GSM networks in the first place is beyond me

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Im not a big ATT fanboy but I do find it funny when considering bandwidth use versus Verizon, no one ever mentions that you can data and talk at same time with ATT, so stands to reason that Verizon since they limit that, have a bit easier time.

Well said!

Here's my take, based on my experience as someone who uses _both_ Verizon & AT&T presently. No carrier is perfect, and the fact of the matter is just like each brand of phone has it's pros & cons, so do the carriers. At the end of the day it's just business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.