Is AT&T Ready?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Jun 17, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Excerpt:

"AT&T has been at the forefront of learning how wireless carriers deal with heavy data usage," Golvin said. "They are really the pioneers. And if any other carrier had the kinds of traffic loads that AT&T has had to deal with as a result of the iPhone, then they would have the same problems. And for anyone to claim any different is crap."

source
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/06/17/cnet.att.iphone.4.apple/

2. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

They can't handle the amount of users they have now. How could they possibly be ready to take on more?

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This is true. Once it hits Verizon I'm sure Verizon may have some issues as well. May not be to the extent of AT&T, but issues are going to happen though. Just my food for thought.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Wow, professional! Using the word crap in a interview/article. :D.

5. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

He's basically repeating what Jobs himself has said. That's why I still don't buy the Verizon iPhone rumors. Jobs has specifically said that AT&T has done a great job. He has also said he sees no need to create a phone running on a different radio technology.

6. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah that's the biggest reason why the iPhone shouldn't be locked to AT&T. If it could be spread out over the 4 major US carriers then they could all carry some of the weight and our lives would all be much better :D

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Yes, AT&T has been always ready. I mean they are ready to fail just like they did with MMS delivery dates, drop calls, and tethering. Once again, they will raise the bar.

8. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Oh, AT&T is ready all right, ready to take all the money they will gain from data overages and all the contract extensions. AT&T couldn't care less about the actual customer experience.

9. DevJ macrumors member

lmao!

10. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

11. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

now that i can agree with....not that verizon would do any better job... but if they spread the wealth is would ease the congestion on at$t.... or all the carriers would have the same issues!!

12. iadam09 macrumors regular

My family and I have had AT&T Wireless/Cingular for over 10 years and not once have we had an issue. We've had their landline+internet for 15+ years (back when they were called bellsouth).

The only reason they're going through all this is due to the high amounts of iPhone users. If t-mobile would get this many users they wouldn't get much reliable coverage. As for Verizon we don't know what they will be capable of until it happens.

Customer Support has always helped me and if they cannot do something they credit my account.

13. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I think AT&T will be fine if you don't live in NY or SF. It's fine out here where I live.

14. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

To the issue of iPhones & dropped calls, the popular myth is it's AT&T's fault. However I have not found that to be the case. Apples main focus was on everything but the phone module used in the first three generations.

I know, I've have two lines on AT&T for the last five years. When I use my 3G BlackBerry Bold for calls, voice qualty is excellent & there are no dropped calls. I also have excellent call quality with my Blackjack. Those are but two example of other brands of 3G handsets that work very well & don't experience dropped calls. Then we have Apples promoting the "improved antenna" on the iPhone 4.

15. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

600,000 iPhones 4 ordered in one day, not all 600,000 of those were existing customers...

Plus we have more and more 3g iPads signing on each day.

and with the new $15 data plan's lots of people with dumb phones, might get a smart phone. I know they can only use 200mb, but that added load regardless. iphone or no iphone, I know several friends who want a "semi smart phone" with web access now, because its cheaper.

16. ajones46 macrumors 6502

What about international iPhone? Do they have the same problems as AT&T? That would tell if it was really the iphone's fault

And AT&T will be able to improve their network now with all the dough their raking in off the data plans now. I forget who made the thread, but he made valid arguments about the case against unlimited data. Since AT&T will be making more money, they'll be able to invest it in their network infrastructure. Before, they were only making money if people stayed below the cost of the data. Does AT&T make a profit off people jailbreaking/tethering and using 10 gigs of data and still paying $30? Or do they only make a profit if people stay below however much it costs to supply that data? I'm 100% for att.'s new tiered plans. It'll only improve their network.

17. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

18. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Verizon already handles more data than AT&T does. People keep forgetting about data cards and Mifi devices, as those are the real data hogs. I've been to countless conferences and meetings all over the US and I honestly don't believe I've ever seen a single person using an AT&T data card.

19. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I think there may still be some 3Gs launch day customers that haven't been activated yet...:D

20. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Im not a big ATT fanboy but I do find it funny when considering bandwidth use versus Verizon, no one ever mentions that you can data and talk at same time with ATT, so stands to reason that Verizon since they limit that, have a bit easier time.

21. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

with the amount of money they've made solely on the iPhone (I cam from verizon because of the iPhone) you would think they would be able to =/

I have no complaints though, because a majority of the problem is with the iPhone and not the network....hopefully iPhone 4 will fix that.

22. cowsrus macrumors 6502

If Verizon was just a GSM carrier the iPhone wouldnt have been locked to AT&T for so long.

Why America has non GSM networks in the first place is beyond me

23. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Well said!

Here's my take, based on my experience as someone who uses _both_ Verizon & AT&T presently. No carrier is perfect, and the fact of the matter is just like each brand of phone has it's pros & cons, so do the carriers. At the end of the day it's just business.