Is AT&T's service/reception good enough to switch over to?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HuggyLowDown, Jul 17, 2010.

1. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

I want an iPhone but I'm with Verizon right now. How good is iPhone service where you live? I live in Virginia, about 15 minutes from D.C. Do you sometimes get spotty reception or excellent reception? Is it worth switching over service/reception wise?

2. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

3. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Depends where you live. It sucks where I live, but so does every other provider too. (yes, i think I've tried them all)

4. jason221 macrumors 6502

5. HuggyLowDown thread starter macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

I live 15 minutes away from D.C. like I said in my question description.

6. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

In Los Angeles (particularly in east LA county), their Edge network is really good. Their 3G network can be finicky at times with data but call quality is certainly better than it was in '08.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Slow down killer. I took the response as a generic answer to your question. If you are asking for opinions of others in your area then that wasn't clear to me when I first read your post.

I'm in Portland, OR so I can't think of someone less qualified to answer your question, unless they are in Hawaii or Alaska. :)

8. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Ask people in your neighborhood. That's your best bet.

Even in the same city reception can depend on what street you live! 2 blocks from my house the service is great.

9. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

You could try buying a cheap gophone. (Prepaid AT&T)

10. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

It's great in Miami, terrible in New York City.

It is very very likely that it will be less reliable than your current Verizon service.

11. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Go buy one, carry it around with you, use it and if it sucks, return it within whatever time frame. Two weeks? All you pay for is what you used. If it doesn't suck, ask them to port your number from Verizon, if you care, which will close your Verizon account in the process. Nothing to it. I go check out new AT&T phones all the time, return them and no one says a word.

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Don't wanna hijack this thread, but a quick question based on what you said about porting...

Can you open a new AT&T account, with an iPhone, get a new number, then in a few weeks time, ask to port your other number to the account, basically changing your phone number? Can you do that? I ask because I am currently on Virgin Mobile, and have been for 7+ years. I'd like to keep my number, but 1.) I want to try AT&T first like we're talking about here, and 2.) I don't wanna any trouble with the initial porting process, as I've heard some folks with Virgin Mobile reporting long delays in porting to or from VM. Thanks.

13. dmelgar macrumors 68000

You can't be serious.
    Look at the 3g coverage map for Virginia comparing ATT and Verizon. Maybe you assume ATT has 3g coverage but they don't have any coverage for big sections of Virginia. Meanwhile Verizon has excellent 3g coverage everywhere.
    There's map for that commercials have never been more true than in Virginia.

Why would you switch to ATT with poor coverage, with a phone known to have a reception problem. Especially now that Verizon has several excellent smartphones. Id say checkout the incredible and Droid x. Or try ATT, but try it outside the metro area and checkout edge coverage. Then go back to Verizon and get a Droid.