Is Att full price from Apple unlocked? T-mo version number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imlynxy, Sep 10, 2015.

1. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Hi, still confused

1. Is it going to be SIM unlocked full price iPhone 6s At&t from Apple?

2. Is Att 1633 is the same model t-mobile has (I know t-mo from Apple always unlocked)

I need LTE 30 phone.

Thanks

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

From what I understand from last year's launch, there was a contract free phone (T-Mobile version) which was unlocked that could be used on AT&T.

Then a few months after launch you could get the official "unlocked" version which could be used on any carrier.

3. ACURA2015 macrumors regular

Good question as I'm also confused, Why should it be locked if we pay full price? I don't want to pay full price and have it locked to At&t, hopefully someone can clarify this.

4. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

I contacted Apple chat, they said that Apple doesn't have info if it is unlocked or what model is t-mobile. Ok... I'm going to order Att and t-mo multiplied by number of lines + order from Att with discount and try 3-d party unlock and return the rest back. Every year I buy-return. I think Apple needs it to show great statistic on sales.

5. jschu22 macrumors regular

Hold on- You think Apple needs you, and others doing this, to buy and return? Suggesting this in some way is helpful to Apple?

This is a new kind of crazy to me.

6. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't suggest anything to anybody :)
    Apple can proudly report that they sell N millions of iPhones during first week, but they never report how many R was returned. Simple manipulation with statistic.

So far I found that t-mobile will have 1633 and 1634. Not sure that the info is accurate

http://www.techwalls.com/iphone-6s-plus-models-differences/

7. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I'm going to be paying full price, and using AT&T as my carrier. Is it better to buy the AT&T version or T-Mobile version (and use it with AT&T)? Will I be able to unlock the AT&T version as soon as I get it?

8. imlynxy, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

With Att you better have an iPhone 6s with LTE 30 support. It is high band, will be used in cities by Att only. LTE 30 is in couple markets as far as now, as far as now LTE 30 is not very crucial. I think that Att first of all upgrade their high congestion sites, like stations , stadium, arenas... LTE 30 is a very low penetration and range, but high capacity and speed.

Nobody knows if t-mo phone will have LTE30(A1633/A1634) or CDMA instead(A1687/A1688). I tried to call both t-mo and Apple and haven't got an answer yet. There are also strong rumors that Att full price from Apple will be unlocked. If I don't get full info I buy both and then return one back. (multiply by 4 lines :) )
    Here is the proof that Att started LTE 30
    http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/att-begins-deploying-23-ghz-wcs-spectrum-lte/2015-09-09

Another words it t-mo iPhone has LTE 30, buy it, no don't buy it. But nobody knows if has it or not. We going to buy "cat in a bag" like everytime before. Apple needs buy-return proccess

9. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

If you pay full price, you can call AT&T and request that it be unlocked. They'll send you an email with a link. Click the line within 24 hours and you'll receive another email with instructions how to unlock your phone.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The full priced AT&T model may or may not be unlocked at launch, but even if it isn't it'll just take putting in an unlock request with AT&T to do it.

11. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

Great info. Simple like 1-2-3. You really saved my time with buy-return process. Sometimes my overloaded brain avoids simple solutions. Thanks

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you paid full price and its still locked to at&t you can submit a request and a copy of the receipt that you paid full price and its not tied up to a contract and they have to unlock it for you.
    But I doubt it will be locked if you buy it from Apple for full price.
    AT&T iphones bought full price from Apple for years now are always unlocked.

13. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

I promise
    Thanks. I'm also eligible for Att grandfather upgrade, may be go this way and unlock it through the 3d party? What do you think? I read you post in another thread. I'm in your shoes , I also look at t-mo, esp. it comes with LTE 12 soon here to MA. Also I travel a lot, almost 3 times a month and have t-mo "roaming" line (it is great in Boston, but so-so outside).

One the one hand I don't want to drop (cannot sell it, need my number) Att 30$ UDP on the other hand I pay for 2 providers now.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can do that too.
    Unlock it via 3rd party or submit some unlock requests for free via AT&T's site and you might get lucky.
    I got 3 6Plus iphones unlocked a while ago while still under contract.

15. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

Did you unlock through Att or 3d party?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

17. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

18. CVUSA macrumors member

Lucky you ! Just submitted 6plus for unlock via AT&T's site today,they got back to me fast . As predicted unfortunately my unlock request was denied because I still haven't fulfilled my service contract (one more year).

19. charles4515 macrumors member

I bought both a 6 and a 6 plus for AT&T at full price last year at the Apple Store. They came unlocked. That was because I paid full price. Did not have to call AT&T.

20. nostresshere macrumors 68030

What is a "grandfather upgrade"?

As to your phone number -- you can transfer that to any provider you want including google voice.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Happened to me too.
    I got lucky after a bunch of tries.

22. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

I know. But If I don't need my phone # I open line with t-mo at any number and sell my unlimited data plan for 400-500 dollars each on ebay. You cannot port-out number and keep the account active.

Under "grandfather upgrade" I mean old 2-years 400 dollars subsidy when you get locked phone and locked for 2 years.

23. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

I finally made up my mind. I order both full price and subsidy price, try to unlock subsidy phones with Att or 3d party and if no success simply return them.
    Since I'm going to be using either Att or t-mobile I orderer Att models only.
    Guys, thanks for your help.