Is Back to My Mac firewalled at work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krye, Jun 2, 2008.

1. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Back to my Mac works perfectly at home between my mac pro and my MacBook. Each machine sees each other and screen sharing works flawlessly. However, when I have my MacBook at work connected to the internet, my Mac Pro does not show up in the Finder sidebar. Is this something that my company can firewall? Does Back to My Mac use a port number that is commonly firewalled? I can't imagine that IT has intentionally firewalled it since they (PC guys) have no idea what it is. So that's why I think that it's a routine port filtering thing. Anyway to get around this without involving IT? Like change it to port 80 or something?

2. kostia macrumors regular

I've had this problem too; even with everything set up correctly (software firewall off, .Mac settings correct) I can't get the Macs at work to work either way with Back to My Mac. It works fine within my network at home and even from a Mac at a friend's house.

My company is ten people, and our IT/server/firewall stuff is outsourced. No one (except me, and I work from home) is even barely competent with Mac networking. I'm certain, like you, that they haven't purposefully blocked this.

I can't find any reference to a specific port number to open, it just seems like there's something that's blocked by some typical institutional/corporate firewall and not in most people's homes.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not sure what ports BTMM runs through, but I do know that I cannot access it from work, but could just fine from a hotel room in Seattle (home is in PA).

4. StructAural macrumors regular

5. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

From that article, "When signing into .Mac and enabling BTMM, TCP port 443 is used. For connections between machines, BTMM typically uses UDP port 4500."

Too bad I have no way to verify if these ports are blocked. And the IT dept will tell me to take a hike if I tell them I need to get my non-company-suppled laptop onto the network so I can screw around on my lunch break.

Oh well, guess I'll have to stick with logmein.com

6. StructAural macrumors regular

*goes to check logmein.com*