Is back-to-school promotion worth waiting?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by medgirl2001, May 9, 2009.

1. medgirl2001 macrumors regular

My sister is ready to get her first Mac. She starts a grad school program this summer, and her old computer is in dire need of replacement. I'm a recent convert, and have convinced her to switch! :) My question is about the back-to-school promotion - from what I've read here it sounds like it usually starts in June. Is it good enough to be worth waiting for? She will be able to qualify for the educational discount now, and her computer is on its last legs, but June isn't far away, so she could wait if need be.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Ask her if the wait is worth a free iPod. She's most qualified to make that decision.

It should hopefully start in about a month. If it were me, I'd say the wait is worth it.

3. medgirl2001 thread starter macrumors regular

Last year it was a free iPod Touch, right? She doesn't need it (has an iPhone), but could certainly sell it to a couple of people I can think of. That may make it worth it.

Do you know if it's possible to get the academic discount/back to school deal by going to an Apple Store? She is starting classes in the beginning of June, and wants to get the new computer up and running as soon as possible. We're about an hour or so from the nearest Apple Store, but it might make sense to go get it there. When they shipped my system recently, FedEx Ground took five days.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, last year it was the lowest-model iPod touch. I think the same is expected of this year's promotion, although nothing is certain.

Yes, with a valid student ID (make sure it has a date on it) or any other proof of current enrollment (e.g. transcript).

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The rebate was a healthy $299 for the iPod Touch. Prices for it on ebay were up to about $260. Seems like something to wait around for to me even if it is just to sell it. Don't forget the $99 for the free printer promo that is always going on.

6. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I'd try and wait for it, a free iPod is always nice!

7. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Of course it's worth the wait. Not only do you get the educational discount as you would any other time, a free iPod which you can sell on or donate to someone is well worth while.

8. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

It may or may not. If she doesn't need the free touch than she can save the hassle of selling it by buying a refurb. If you subtract the touch from the student discount(at the online or instore apple store, I'm not talking about on campus where you can get some good discounts sometimes) you come out to about the same price, PLUS you pay LESS tax.

If she doesn't mind refurb, that may be the best way to go. And she won't have to wait:)

9. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I would wait there are rumors of an update at wwdc.