Is Bad SimCity Performance Normal On A rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by niblet, Jan 13, 2014.

1. niblet, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

niblet macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 15" rMBP with 16GB of RAM, and Simcity can only run at High settings. SimCity is not running at Retina resolution, and I am concerned that my MacBook will be unable to play graphics-intensive games in the future. Is performance normally this bad, or is this just a bad port of a PC game. Finally, would running SimCity in Bootcamp help much, and how good of an idea is BootCamp (I am concerned about messing up the computer, though I don't really know how I could)

Also, I am running the game at 1400x900 or whatever half the Retina resolution is. Full retina resolution is not even available in the game.
    Thanks

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You have a laptop, you will never have great gaming performance on graphics intensive games. All computers stop being able to run graphics intensive games at some point, laptops sooner than desktops (if they ever could on day one).

High settings sounds about right for SimCity. SimCity is not a port, it's fully native. I'm sure Bootcamp would help some, but I'm not sure how much. You're already running at high settings so I'm not really sure what the point of using Bootcamp would be.

Bootcamp will not mess up your computer, you really think Apple would let that happen?

3. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I agree with the other poster. Gaming on a laptop such as the MBP is never going to be an awesome experience. Laptops in general are bad gaming platforms. Once geared for gaming or otherwise labeled as "Desktop Replacement" will probably offer a better experience.

I did a little testing myself on my late 2013 rMBP and WoW on Good settings just about gets 30-35fps. No way could I run on High or Ultra settings and still have acceptable gameplay. SimCity is one game that I own but sadly have not played... yet. :eek: I bet what you are seeing is normal.

4. blooperz macrumors 6502

Bootcamp makes a huge difference in most games, apple's Nvidia drivers are pretty bad when it comes to game optimization. Even after you install bootcamp, you will have to go to Nvidia's website and manually download the latest driver updates for windows as they are not included in the bootcamp windows support files.

IMO if you plan on doing any gaming do yourself a favor and install windows via bootcamp.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

This. For me, Borderlands 2 has to run at much lower settings to run smoothly compared to Windows 8.1 (bootcamp).

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Even though Mac's are capable of gaming, either nativly in OS X or Bootcamp, they are not ideally suited to graphically demanding games.

As for running Sim City at Retina resolution, are you seriously expecting to run that game at such a high resolution and expect good performance on your Mac''s weedy dGPU? Sim City is garbage anyway, so maybe your Mac is simply trying to save you from wasting your time on that atrocity.

7. leman macrumors 604

While I don't see a technical reason why a game like Simcity should not run at native resolution with the 650M, it is a quite bad port and combined with lower-performing OS X drivers, it makes such request quite unrealistic. Just play at 1680x1050 or so - it still looks much better then most 15" displays out there.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Disappointing to see this thread, I was somewhat tempted to finally take the plunge on SimCity (or at least wait for the purported offline mode update occurs but if performance on a 2012 rMBP is poor which is my computer then I'll skip this game

9. leman macrumors 604

Its not necessarily poor. Its runs quite 'ok' on 1680x1050. I am not very happy with the game, but for different reasons.

10. niblet thread starter macrumors newbie

I am NOT running SimCity at Retina resolution. Also, is interface lag normal whilst using iMovie?

11. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

Just install bootcamp. The performance difference is huge. The lack of good drivers and DirectX on OSX kills the performance. The Macbook is actually a pretty decent gaming laptop when running Windows, if you ask me.

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I just played SimCity last night I used low setting because I am more concern about heat inside my rMBP. :apple:

13. blooperz macrumors 6502

Your macbook won't get hot enough to cause any damage to itself, especially not with Simcity.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll wait a bit to see if they really do come with offline mode. There are other factors that give me pause in buying the game. They're removed features compared to older versions of the game.