Is batterygate over?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mrfatboy, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

What's the latest? I see no more discussions or complaining about battery life in the forums, blog, etc. The last thing I heard was apple admitted there was a problem and they were working on it. Then they release 5.1 BETA with supposedly no battery fix.

Did apple just wait all the whiners and "people that don't know how to set up their phones properly" out? It's been way too quiet!

Maybe everybody has gone for the holidays!

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I got in on the 400+ page thread around page 60-something. I knew of the potential issues well in advance. Didn't stop me from dropping my Android like it just bit me.

I've had 2 4s phones now (nothing battery related) and have gotten more than adequate battery life from BOTH of them.

Maybe it's because I work in tech support (don't ask what company I work for lol) so I know EXACTLY how to troubleshoot an issue related to hardware/software but I've found that if you read what others have discussed and you really consider the different processes and what the phone is programmed to do, you can limit severe battery drain easily.

For people looking for a "set it and forget it" type device, I hate to break it to them but it doesn't yet exist. The iPhone is going to be the closest thing to that (as it's the most user-friendly that I've found). But you still have to be concious of what your phone is doing. For instance, I was at a company lunch function the other day and I put my phone on vibrate. I happened to look and noticed that I had zero signal. I looked down a few minutes later and noticed my battery starting to go. Logic told me that this phone is NOT going to stop looking for a signal even in the lead building I was in. Airplane mode for the rest of the function and it didn't even go down 1/2 percent.

That's what all of the little toggle switches are for though... you have to know how and when to use them and you can definately avoid severe battery drain.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

So the problem isn't the battery draining its that users are not monitoring what the phone is doing and using the toggle switches correctly.

4. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

That's incorrect. My iPhone 4 used to last 24 hours in standby and 7h and half of usage. Now it's lasting 3 hours usage and 6 hours standby.

Nothing has changed in its settings or any of my apps. I tried restoring as new and all stuff but I still can't get the same battery life I'd 2 weeks ago.

I've had the best battery life in iOS 5 since the first days I purchased my iPhone, but something has changed and now I can't get even an "ok" battery life. My battery life went from awesome to bad in 2 weeks.
    Maybe it's a glitch in iOS 5 or a signal problem or what ever. I still don't know.

5. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

No, the problem is that most people (I'm sure there are some with legitimate battery issues) hear that some folks are complaining about battery life, then they come here and read threads because they like looking for things to complain about. Then they turn on the battery % and obsess about it and notice that they get 30 minutes less on their 4S than their 4, so the battery must be fatally flawed. Then it just snowballs from there.
    I'm sure batterygate is not as serious or widespread as some people would lead you to believe.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

iOS 5.0+ brings some new features that eat up battery fast. There's plenty of threads explaining what features to turn off to save battery like wifi sync, iCloud features etc...
    If you setup as new and turn off some of those options you will be fine.

7. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Why would wifi sync and iCloud drain the battery? They are only active when the phone is plugged in, unless you start them manually. Do they do something when the phone isn't plugged in too (and not manually activated)?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, the wifi sync would be while charging but there's other icloud features that can be turned off to save battery.
    This thread below has tons of tips on what to turn off to improve battery life.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=525741&highlight=turn+off+settings+for+battery+life

9. Ori macrumors 6502

I dont know what apple is playing at. This problem needs sorting.
    I have to charge my phone twice a day when my iPhone 4 only needed charging at night.
    I've been waiting for this fix for months. Sort it out apple.