Is Bento 4 a good database software for making a dictionary?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MJNBGA, Jun 18, 2011.

1. MJNBGA macrumors regular

Essentially, I want to make a 2 language terminology dictionary, one that can be filtered by category, proficiency level, etc. Can Bento 4 do this?

Thanks,

Mordy

2. alanhkim macrumors newbie

Dear Mordy,

Did you get replies to your questions? I have a question as yours. I am seeking help how to construct an etymological dictionary of Japanese/Korean in English.

If you have responses to your question, could you share them with me. Thank you. --- Alan

----------

3. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

One question to be asked is are these databases going to be available only on the local computer or via some UI, such as a web site or dedicated client front-end?

If the answer is through a UI of some sort that is not Bento, then you need to consider some form of database server like MySQL. Then a UI needs to be constructed. PHP is pretty good and has hooks built-in for MySQL though writing the code using JavaScript should not be difficult either.

4. MJNBGA thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for answering, finally! :cool: I am not somewhat more learned in this field, and have had a few introductory lessons to MySQL :eek:. Hopefully In a year or two I'll be able to share my finished product!

No, alanhkim, you were the first response! :rolleyes:. Good thing TonyK is here to point me in the right direction!