Is Best Buy greedy as heck?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Avenger, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Avenger macrumors 6502a

They are the only company that doesn't want to sell the iPhone X at full price because they want the additional kickback from the carrier for setting up an installment plan.

2. bencjedi macrumors 6502

It may be an act of desperation to appease shareholders on guaranteed income (if people are willing enough to fork over he extra $100)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is Best Buy greedy as heck?

Yes, they are.
    But this is nothing new, they always priced the full price contract free iphones $100 more than their Apple retail price.

4. Ortiz7983 Suspended

What’s new huh?

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

After them selling me a DSLR camera that was used and returned, I will never buy anything from them.

It took hours of arguing with the manager about the camera being used and he insisted in front of all these people that BB does not sell used/returned as new. Then I pulled out the warranty card and the receipt from the first owner that they left in the box with the camera!!!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pretty much, kinda like their $500 HDMI cables :D

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

Best Buy is always having sales on phones. They sell the phone at break even and make money on the carrier commission and accessories. They've always sold full price for $100 more than everyone else.

I've sworn off buying from Apple because you can get it cheaper literally everywhere else except the apple store

8. jmarttu24 macrumors member

9. Avenger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny thing is that they took down the full price+$100 offer after everone called them out on it and now you can only get it by installment plan.

10. j62lee macrumors member

Best Buy is a publicly held company... their fiduciary duty is to the shareholder, not to the consumer. If they were able to charge an extra $1000 for each unlocked iPhone X, they would, because that is in the best interest of their shareholders.

Not sure why you expect Best Buy to act any differently. Vote with your wallet - don't shop at Best Buy if you don't like their prices or policies.

11. JSway macrumors regular

I remember when I worked at an authorized retailer, we would pay $10 more on top of the retail price for iPhone. This of course isn’t calculating the commission on the backend. But maybe they are paying above retail as well and trying to make some profit versus a loss?

12. lazard macrumors 68000

they are no less greedy than any other company.

13. Kjung7 macrumors 6502

Well they don't even offer the iPhone X at full price anymore. I think they realized how dumb it was of them to upcharge $100 for it. It's no wonder they're struggling.

14. lazard macrumors 68000

not really, their stock is not far off from their all time high

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pretty much.
    But without the consumer/customer there will not be a shareholder at the end;)

16. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Do you know of a carrier that sells the iPhone X unlocked for MSRP?

17. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Best Buy will go extinct like Circuit City.

Very empty stores these days. Appliances and TVs last for 5+ years. Nobody buys physical media anymore when it can be downloaded. Only thing keeping them afloat is being a third-party for carriers.

18. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

I find this funny talking about how greedy Best Buy is when buying Apple product. An Apple product! Apple, the greediest company on the face of the planet.

19. j62lee macrumors member

Best Buy has to act in the best interests of their shareholder... which includes maintaining their customer base. Which is exactly what they've done once they received feedback from their customers about the upcharge.

Is Best Buy greedy? Yes. So is every other company in the world.

20. pl1984 Suspended

Not as greedy as Apple.

21. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

Yes but when younpurchase you’re able to price match for regular retail price at $100 less

22. pl1984 Suspended

Can you speak up? I can't hear you!

23. j62lee macrumors member

Yup. And I'm more than willing to hand over my money to Apple for iPhone X.

24. Avenger thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if they are immediately unlockable but ATT sells for MSRP. That's something I should look into.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Best Buy is not a carrier.
    But yes carrier stores will also sell full price iphones to their customers.
    Also Walmart, Target and many other places will sell you full price iphones;)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    Lol :D
    I copied the thread title and the font came out too big :)