Is bluetooth support improved in iOS5 for SMS & tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jace88, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jace88, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

Hi guys,

For those who have access to iOS5, do you know if there are any improvements to the features offered with regards to the iPhone and Bluetooth?

My new car's GPS system (COMAND) can read sms and access the internet on 'supported devices' (i.e. Android phones) but doesn't seem to have access to anything more than the phone book and recent call list on the iPhone. Am dreading this but if these additional services aren't offered in the next iteration, I may end up buying an Android device since one of the reasons I got my car with the upgraded satnav was so it could access my Google Maps account as well as read incoming sms out loud whilst driving.

From surfing the net, I can tell there is an update to include AVRCP 1.3 when streaming music via Bluetooth (i.e. it can now stream ID3 tag info) > http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1167609

However, I'm not sure which profile is required to enable my car to connect to the internet. Judging by the fact that the COMAND system requires you to select carrier details and so forth, it sounds more like the Dial Up Networking profile rather than the Personal Area Network... but I'm not an expert on this!

Thanks!

2. jace88 thread starter macrumors regular

jace88

3. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not sure if it's a bug or what, but I can't get my iPhone with beta 3 to connect to my MBP. seems to work with everything else just not the MBP. Maybe LION that I'm downloading will help! Pretty stoked to try lion. Sorry for thread jacking

4. jace88 thread starter macrumors regular

jace88

Erm ... good luck? Not sure if threadjacking an empty thread was the best idea but thanks for the bump.

Anyway back on topic, anyone found whether the dial up networking profile is supported in iOS5?

5. jimckimmel macrumors member

Bump? Now that iOS 5 Beta 7 is out...

Seems that this thread has been stagnant, but since IOS 5 beta 7 just came out, I thought I'd give it a bump to see if there's any news on this... I'm hoping that iMessage will ultimately support messages over Bluetooth for use in my car...