Is BlumAlerts a legitimate browser security service?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alexreich, Jul 5, 2012.

1. alexreich, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I just saw an add for the service on MacRumors, and it showed as Universal binary, so I figured I'd check it out. Turns out that the service seems to be like a good one, but I can't just trust sites/companies I've never heard of. (I wouldn't need it anyway though, practicing safe web use is enough for me.)

Have any of you had experience with BlumAlerts? Any input?

I've provided images of the site for reference...

Attached Files:

2. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

If it was me i would not trust it only because i googled it and only 3 pages came up but no review's. It claims that it was Featured In ABC and USA Today but when i go to ABC's webpage and search it nothing comes up:confused: And on there web site it says OS X 10.6+ so it is not a universal program anyway. here is there web page http://blumalerts.com/ I have to say the black cat icon creeps me out a little:D

3. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Haha I did some Googling and it didn't seem legit to me either. No worries. I don't need it anyways haha

4. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Just to be sure, I went to the downloads page. It automatically downloaded it without alerting me (I'm on 10.5 on a G4 PowerBook) only on going to the downloads page, and then started the installer. It doesn't seem exactly safe. So now, I'm running ClamAV to see if I'm infected :(.

5. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I just did a scan as well on my G5 and everything seems to be fine. Though I did not install it, I did download the .pkg file. I immediately moved it to the trash and emptied it though, as I don't trust no-name software.