Is Bootcamp turning a Mac to a completely PC (software and hardware compatibility)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Jun 22, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I am planning to get a Mac Pro. Using Bootcamp, can I assume that whatever software/hardware compatible with Windows PC should work on the Mac Pro (at least when it is booted to Windows)? For instance, graphics card such as the GeForce GTX 260/280, eSATA cards, Digital to Analog (DA) interface cards, Analog to Digital (AD) cards, etc.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

4. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Windows doesn't know it's running on a Mac.
    BTW When you say GTX 260 do you mean the Radeon 2600 series as I cannot find the one you mention by searching their web site. The only cards that work in the Mac running Windows are the ones specifically designed for the Mac such as the 8800GT or the HD3870. Just because you're running Windows doesn't mean you can install any video card. As far as the other cards are concerned, as long as they are compatible with the PCI Express bus you're good to go.
    I don't want to get too technical but there is one exception. You can have a Mac compatible video card in Slot 1 and a Windows only compatible card in slot 2 (as long as you do not exceed the maximum power requirements of the PCI Express bus) so when you boot to Windows it will be recognized. The only problem is that you will have to switch your video cable from one to the other.
    Having said all of that order your MP with the 8800GT and get Vista 64 and you will be happy.
    BTW If you intend to do gaming, you can install a SoundBlaster PCI Express XFi sound card. It will not be recognized by OSX but Windows will see it and use it (great card as the MP doesn't support Dolby Digital in games - not sure about professional apps so check other forums here first ).

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

GTX260 is nVidia's new graphics card series. It won't run under OS X (yet) though...

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I meant GeForce GTX 260. Do you think I can run this card or its brother GTX 280 on the Mac Pro under Windows? Looks like the linux driver is there as well! Can I install both the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT (for Leopard) and one of the GTXs (for Windows Vista 64 or Linux 64) to the Mac Pro? I think a lot of new LCDs support two DVI inputs. In that case, I only need to buy one more video cable to avoid switching. Right?

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Correct. Use one DVI input for the Mac video card and the other DVI input for the Windows card and you're good to go.